Thread: Is my intel core 2 duo E7400 working properly?

Is my intel core 2 duo E7400 working properly?

Well, as per the specification Intel core 2 duo is two core processor but when i check my system settings and other CPU software it shows only single core. I can only see two cores in device manager in the processors. I thought it will be working in background and be utilized when needed. I can’t even play games that require core 2 duo processor, because they specify that i have only single core. I really have core 2 duo processor then why i am getting such problems playing games and other applications?

re: Is my intel core 2 duo E7400 working properly?

I have made such tests on my core 2 duo processor and it always showed me only single core only. I have seen a video on the YouTube where another guy was having the same processor, he opened several applications and then opened the task manager, and there he could see two threads working, but when i tried the same my task manager was showing only single thread and it was also slowing down. Even if the second core is present it is not active on my computer.

There is a fix for this problem:
    1. Go to the RUN menu and type the msconfig
    2. Now go to BOOT tab and click on the “advanced”
    3. Disable the “number of cores” and now reboot your system
    4. Now go to the BIOS and reset it to the “default settings” save the changes and restart.
    5. Now go to the task manager and see if there are two graphs shown in it. If yes then again run the msconfig and enable the “number of cores” again select “2”. Now enable the option “make it permanent” and apply it.

I had the same problem with E7400 with DG31PR motherboard. Here is what helped me solve the problem:
    1. Go to the BIOS settings and find the “Single processor mode”.
    2. If this option is enabled then disable it. Save the changes and restart your system.

This worked for me instantly. I then ran the indexes and gained the lot of score for my processor. I have checked my system with several applications, device manager and msconfig it always shows the two cores and two threads.