Thread: BIOS showing Intel core 2 duo E4500 temperature as 90 degree centigrade

BIOS showing Intel core 2 duo E4500 temperature as 90 degree centigrade

I have core 2 duo processor, from sometime i have been experiencing unexpected shut down on my system. I have tried cleaning my processor by removing the fan and resetting the RAM but still that problem occurs and my system gets shut down. I then went into the BIOS for checking my system performance and it showed me that my CPU temperature as 90 degree. I think this is the cause of unexpected shut down in my system. It is normally so high and when i use any applications it rises and then shuts down. I have Gigabyte 945 model with BIOS version F6i. my CPU speed is 2.20 and i am running windows XP SP 3.

re: BIOS showing Intel core 2 duo E4500 temperature as 90 degree centigrade

First make sure that temperature you are looking at is for whole processor and not for a core. If your processor is overheating then system will shut down after the boot. See if your CPU fan is connected properly and it is running properly or not. Have you applied a thermal paste on the processor? Check if the power supply fan and other cabinet fans are working fine or not. Make sure that your intake fans get air from outside and there is some space around your system to receive air. If you still receive the problem then please contact the local service center around you.

I am getting the same problem with my system. I have applied the new thermal paste on my processor, there is enough space around my system and there is no such issue of air blockages. My speed fan shows the CPU temperature 55 degree and it goes up to mid 60 sometimes. I have also cleaned the fans so that they can pass the cooler air inside. But after all of this i still get the same problem of automatic shut down of my system.

See, for core 2 duo processor, maximum CPU temperature which can be said normal is 73.3 degree. If you have temperature around 60 degree then that means that your system is normal and there is no need to panic. Check the BIOS for anything that supplies more volts to your CPU then it requires. The normal supply would be 1.2 volts.

Have you experienced this problem recently or you have been using your system with this problem for long time. If it has been a long time then you might have damaged your processor and it must be replaced or it may damage other peripheral also. If you have spare or you can try your friend’s CPU then try using that for while and see if you get the same high temperature with that processor also. For how long your system runs before shutting down.