Thread: How to remove thermal grease from the Gigabyte 1156 motherboard pins

question How to remove thermal grease from the Gigabyte 1156 motherboard pins

I have a problem that there is thermal grease between the pins of my Gigabyte GA EP55 UD6 Socket motherboard. I am unable to remove the grease because the pins are angled and are spaced very tightly. The problem is that the thermal grease is present between the pins and not on the tip that is why it is more difficult to remove, Could anyone suggest me a good solution for this problem? Is there anyone here with the same problem?

idea Re: How to remove thermal grease from the Gigabyte 1156 motherboard pins

Just try to remove the thermal grease from the pins of the motherboard with the help of the alcohol and some cloth. Also this process will not make any kind of the damage to the motherboard. Try not to apply much amount of the alcohol. Use only little amount. Try and tell me what happens.

Exclamation Re: How to remove thermal grease from the Gigabyte 1156 motherboard pins

The main reason for me to buy the thermal grease that is electrically non- conductive because I know this always have problems with the pins of the motherboard that we are unable to remove them.

sad Re: How to remove thermal grease from the Gigabyte 1156 motherboard pins

I am too facing this problem. But I know that the Arctic Silver 5 is used to solve such problems. I am newbie to this that’s why I am asking that using the AS 5 would be great or not since it is non-conductive. Also do I try to use it on the CPU s well or it’s a bad idea?

star Re: How to remove thermal grease from the Gigabyte 1156 motherboard pins

Quote Originally Posted by Bhuvanlal View Post
    I am too facing this problem. But I know that the Arctic Silver 5 is used to solve such problems. I am newbie to this that’s why I am asking that using the AS 5 would be great or not since it is non-conductive. Also do I try to use it on the CPU s well or it’s a bad idea?
    I would say no to the AS 5. Because of the silver the AS 5 becomes conductive. This would fry your CPU. If you have to remove the thermal grease that is between the pins then you must use the small pin point and try to remove the thermal grease that is between the pins. Also ensure that you are dipping that same pin which you had used to remove the grease in the alcohol and then clean up the remaining that would be left.

smile Re: How to remove thermal grease from the Gigabyte 1156 motherboard pins

Quote Originally Posted by DikraJi View Post
    I have a problem that there is thermal grease between the pins of my Gigabyte GA EP55 UD6 Socket motherboard. I am unable to remove the grease because the pins are angled and are spaced very tightly. The problem is that the thermal grease is present between the pins and not on the tip that is why it is more difficult to remove, Could anyone suggest me a good solution for this problem? Is there anyone here with the same problem?
    You have to make the use of the toothbrush that is bristled and the alcohol in order to remove the thermal grease from the pins. I have done the same procedure to remove the grease from the pins of my Giga Motherboard and I have done that well... Just ensure that you not using too much force with the brush. This might damage the CPU also.

Re: How to remove thermal grease from the Gigabyte 1156 motherboard pins

If I had this problem then I would have thought to use a spray bottle with a tight pattern of the streaming spray which has the alcohol inside it. I would have sprayed that bottle on the pins instead of using the bristled toothbrush or any kind of the needle or pin that damages my Motherboard.

ThumbsUp Re: How to remove thermal grease from the Gigabyte 1156 motherboard pins

Quote Originally Posted by Gimbya View Post
    If I had this problem then I would have thought to use a spray bottle with a tight pattern of the streaming spray which has the alcohol inside it. I would have sprayed that bottle on the pins instead of using the bristled toothbrush or any kind of the needle or pin that damages my Motherboard.
    This is a very good solution given by the “Gimbya”. I have also used the same solution to remove the thermal grease which was present in b/w the pins. This method is really safe. You should also have to hold the Motherboard in the upside down position and then spray the bottle having the alcohol inside it. You would easily get this spray bottle from the ebay or Amazon site and it would not cost you more. Also ensure that after spraying the motherboard is kept off for some hours so that the entire residue goes out.