Thread: What is the criteria for comparing processors

What is the criteria for comparing processors

I have been using a computer which is several year old and it is from the Intel Pentium Family. It has been good since it is running Windows XP. So I never get a chance to upgrade it. Now the motherboard is damaged. But the pentium4 processor is working fine. So now I am confused between whether to get a new or used motherboard for Pentium 4 or should I go upgrading to newer processor? If I choose upgrading processor, then how could I compare current Intel’s processor with each other?

Re: What is the criteria for comparing processors

You said that your motherboard is damaged and you want to replace it. But I don’t know why you still want to stay with P4 since you are buying a new motherboard. You might know that P4 is outdated & slow. If the motherboard or processor is outdates then there is no sense in replacing it with the same on or stick with same speed. Better upgrade fully.

As far as I know that Intel’s Pentium 4 and AMD’s Athlon are somewhat same in speed and performance. These processors are enough for multitasking or slight gaming. A low frequency Pentium 4 with Hyperthreading and Athlon with Hypertransport is going to perform well in low end computers for normal usage. However in your case, if you are looking for replacing the motherboard, then get one which is compatible with most range of processors from oldest to newest. This will bring you better option for future upgrade.

If you are looking forward for shopping processor then never compare the frequencies of an AMD to an Intel. AMD has lower frequencies and Intel with higher frequency. But in some situations, AMD will do better than Intel. For example in gaming. One thing makes sure that you are going to get the 64bit one.

If you want to buy the 64-bit processor and want to get the full use of it, then you will probably need a 64-bit version of windows. But don’t think that you cannot do the same with 32-bit Windows. You can also get plenty of benefit there. The major thing is 32-bit Windows is much more compatible with hardware.

You can easily do the comparison between the Intel vs AMD processors. This comparison can be done through benchmark tests. By doing the benchmark tests you will notice the actual graphics and overall computing performance. However for that you will need to install some intensive software on computer and then carry out the test. Otherwise you can also refer the reviews and comparison done by some reviewers, websites and magazines. This will help you to easily pick the CPU.

• While buying a new processor first see how many cores are there. The more cores you have, the more power you will get. Those will perform well.
    • Next thing you need to consider is the clock speed. If you have higher clock speeds (expressed in Mhz) then you can do the process at a faster rate.
    • Third thing is about the cache memory capabilities.
    • Final thing is about the FSB speed. This speed will tell you how fast the data transmission is from/to memory controller.

You have only way to figure out the comparison and that is by the help of specifications and benchmark tests offered in different sources. Presently the best processors are Intel’s core i3, i5 and i7 but they are little overpriced. If you are looking for AMD processors they cost lesser. But you will notice only a slight performance difference. For you if there is no budget limitation then I would suggest you to go for Intel core i5 or i7 for outmost performance.

I have done the benchmark test and I finally came to know that Intel is much higher and is better. I am using the AMD processor and I am very happy with it.