Thread: Do large CPU coolers damage the motherboard?

Do large CPU coolers damage the motherboard?

I am using my customized system from past 3 years. Now the case is that my CPU cooling fan has been damaged and I am planning to buy another one. I think this the 3rd time I encountered a damaged CPU cooler. But now I promised that it won’t happen again. And for that I planned to buy a big and large coolers which are now a days in more demand. But my friends are suggesting me not to go for those big fans as they can possibly damage the motherboard. But I don’t believe them; I don’t think that it is possible for those fans to damage the whole motherboard. Are they that much big?

Now I am totally confused whether to go for the big cooler fans or to stick with these normal small ones. The problem is that now I don’t trust these small less powered fans anymore but also can’t think of the big ones as people are scaring me with its negativity. Are they speaking the truth, is it really possible that a big CPU cooler can damage the motherboard?

Re: Do large CPU coolers damage the motherboard?

Yes of course it is possible, there are certain cases where it has happened ones or twice. Have to ever hear about Noctua DH-14, Thermalright Silver Arrow or Phanteks PH-TC14PE? If not then google it and see how big is their size. By looking at their size and weight anybody can guess out that it is bound create any problem with respect to their physical pressure. But there is nothing for you to worry if you get them by consulting some expert person or some good retailer who know much about his motherboard and coolers.

Even I kept an idea in my mind of buying a big heavy CPU cooler. But I never thought that such heavy coolers can also create a negative impact on a motherboard. After reading the post I am in a mood to change my plan of buying a big CPU cooler. Even though in lot of CPU cooler reviews I have heard that these things are the best for the CPUs, now I would buy it only if I get the best positive remarks from now onwards. Please friends suggest me what should I do, if you all really wanted to help me, I would definitely let you know the type of motherboard I have along with the other system configuration.

• Motherboard: AsRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    • Case: Zalman Z9 Plus
    • Processor: Intel i5-2500k
    • Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
    • PSU: Antec TruePower New 650W

As per my knowledge I am well aware about AsRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 motherboard. And this motherboard is probably one amongst the best. So undoubtedly you can go for any big CPU cooler that you would prefer for your processor.

You know buying a huge cooler is not at all worthy until and unless you have a worthy processor and a motherboard. And you have both the part at their best, so my personal recommendation will be to go for any type of cooler you are looking for but remember to get it fixed properly not by you own self but by the retailer person from whom you will be getting it.

I am too looking out for a CPU cooler but completely confused like other whether I should go for the big one or the smaller one.
    The only reason I wanted to buy a best branded cooler is for overclocking my processor.
    I need to overclock my intel core i5 2500k at about 4.8 GHz, so for that reason however I need a good safety margin to perform the activity even in a warm environment. No other specific special reason. Can anyone suggest me with the best branded CPU cooler?

Simply go for corsair H80. The H80 includes a double-thick radiator and two 120mm fans. This one come up with those categories which are not so small, not so big and also gives you the best performance. I already have it, and so far never faced any problem, neither while overclocking nor with anything. I am also very much good for 4.5GHz overclocking.

But even then I would strictly suggest you to go for these heavy costly coolers only if you need that much of cooling power.

Breakage of motherboard has happened very rarely but yes the fact is that it has happened. But you can’t blame the heavy big coolers for the damage. CPU coolers are not the core reasons for the damage. Till now in most of the cases motherboard damages have been taken place with the big coolers but it is all because moving or dropping down of the PCs. Its an obvious think that if you try to make a movement of your PC without any safety precautions and if dropped down then obviously the first and the for most place the motherboard is going to face the damage is the heavy loaded area, and that area is nowhere but above the CPU i.e. the heavy big cooler.

I don’t think there is nothing to worry with this big air cooler. There is no possibility of these heavy coolers damaging the motherboard. Just imaging is it possible that this big brand cooler manufacturer makes such heavy coolers without even considering their impact on the motherboard.

For your kind information let me tell you that big coolers come up with blackplates that are meant for the prevention of motherboard damage. And also they have a different and unique mounting on the board in order to prevent the damage. I think this is the first time such a kind of mounting has been introduced. I would suggest you the EVO.

No my friend it’s not that if a cooler is big or heavy then it tends to make noise. I certainly don’t agree with you. Any ways if anyone really looking out for a cooler that looks good, big, damage free and especially should not be too noisy then without thinking just go for either Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B or the Scythe Mugen 3. The new Mugen 3 cooler looks dramatically different all the way. The best feature of this cooler is that it has a controlled noise during its working. And the only difference between the Mugen 2 and Mugen 3 is that Mugen 2 has a fewer heatsink arrays i.e. four as compared to the Mugen 3 which has over 5 heatsink arrays. Trust me if really need the best one then you should definitely go for this one.

If you go on with the current features then the Scythe Mugen 3 have till now replaced the Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B. but I think it performs the same and at an equal benchmark as the Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B do.

I too have the Mugen 2, too huge but very much quite and silent as compared to any other coolers. It can beat the Hyper 212+ by 5-7C in almost every tests but when it come to EVO, EVO is a better product than 212+ so therefore Mugen can beat it only by 1 or 2 degree.

I agree. But the EVO 212 is the best one for me. I am having it and it works well. But till now the only negative point I noticed regarding this Cooler fan is that its bit noisy, and it is bound to noisy after all big thing tends to make noise so serious complain regarding the issue as I never took it as an issue. Other than this you need not have to worry about the motherboard breakage. I may be seems like too heavy and hard to fix it but I would strictly recommend you to first fix up the cooler on the board first and then go for placing the board inside the case or cabinet.

I agree with Marquise, go for Corsair H80 or if you want more efficient cooling, go for H100.

Perform a checklist of compatibility of these two water coolers with your chassis, especially for H100.