Thread: after upgrading CPU PC starts but without posts

after upgrading CPU PC starts but without posts

Hello friends. I have a small doubt. I had a PC with Pentium D 3.0 working on an Msi x48 c platinum board. Then I decided to upgrade just the CPU and I did upgrade with Intel core q9550. After installing q9550, pc started up properly but it was unable to boot up. Not just booting up but I can’t even seen any posts or anything like that. The screen just stays black whenever I start the PC.

I just mean to say that whatever I use to notice during the pc startup with the other CPU, nothing is found with the latest q9550. Not even the beep sound which I use to get every time whenever my PC uses to boot up with the Pentium processor. Is there any problem with the new processor I bought?

Re: after upgrading CPU PC starts but without posts

Is your bios version latest?
    I would tell you to perform some trial and errors as per my suggestion.
    First of all try to reset the cmos.
    Remove power cord and try to use the power button after 15 to 30 sec
    Get an on and off cooler
    After trying out these R and D let me know the result. These are the possible minor tricks from which you can easily sort out your problem. If you are lucky enough then definitely these tricks will help you out.

I am not sure but did you ever tried to verify with the CPU or the motherboard manufacturer to know whether this quad cpu is supportable by this motherboard?

Else I would rather suggest you to replace your old CPU again and check whether everything is still working fine with it. if yes then definitely there may be some problem with your new q9550. And if still the problem remains the same with the old one too then definitely the fault could be with the motherboard. Try and check, let’s see where exactly the problem lies.

I tried everything already, nothing worked. Including the suggestion given in the above post, anyways I will let you know the result for all the R and D I did with respect to the 1st and 2nd posts:

• Tried to reset cmos –> same negative result
    • removed the power cord and used the power button -> no result
    • Got an on and off cooler – no result

Now regarding the 2nd post: -
    • Changed cpu to the older CPU i.e. intel pentium -> boots fine
    • Again replaced to q9550 -> everything back to the abnormal position

When I switched my CPU to the intel Pentium the PC starts booting fine but again when I replaced it with q9550 same black screen appeared with no posting and all.

Before upgrading your CPU don’t forget to update the BIOS. Let me know whether you are using a BIOS revision that predates the q9550. if it’s so then your motherboard cant recognize the processor and due to this your computer is not booting up.

I would suggest you to download the latest BIOS file form MSI official website and then to update your BIOS refer to the motherboard manual you will get the procedure from there. Replace back the older Pentium D then update the BIOS. After updating again replace the CPU with your q9550, now hopefully your computer will be fine and will be able to boot.

The first and for most you need to do is to remove all the devices which are detachable like RAM, CD ROM, network Card etc including the monitor, detach everything before you need to bios on boot up to reset the motherboard. Leave everything overnight. After this now assemble one by one, first you need to come up with CPU then RAM and then monitor. Remember to attach the RAM to the slot other than the slot which you used to fix the RAM. Now run the system and see whether it works or not.

I tried the suggestion of updating he BIOS already before.

First I placed the old CPU back then went to update bios but what came to my notice was that I was already running on the last version. It’s because I always have a habit to check for the latest updates and if there are any, I update it. Anyway after I found that I already have the updated version I placed the new CPU back and for name sake started the pc, as expected nothing worked. I believe that this is something strange error which I have ever found.

Even I am facing the same problem, in fact even I am having the same CPU of quad 9550. I tried all the suggestion given to me by you all but till now nothing worked. I just have a doubt regarding bios version. when I googled I noticed that most of the users use bios version 7.3 on quad 9550, feels too weird but want to know from you people that what exactly you all feel regarding flashing the bios back to the version 7.3. To make things simpler I will let you know my motherboard and processor specification:

• x48c platinum mainboard
    • CORE 2 QUAD Q9550
    • MSI R4870-T2D1G PCIe ATIi. 1GB DDR5

As said earlier you are supposed to check the compatibility of the motherboard and the CPU which you are having. Anyways other than this I would suggest you to check for any damages or dirt on the CPU or the motherboard, especially the slot where we place the CPU. Then most probably you try and reflash the BIOS. I know you have already the update version but for safer side and confirmation I would suggest you to do it again. And at last make sure that all the power cables are in like with the CPU power cable. I know checking the power cable is obvious but most of the people forget to do so most of the time.

I have a unique trial and error trick for you to try out in your pc. Switch every off then turn on just your monitor. Remember you are not supposed to turn on the whole PC. After turning on the monitor wait for the no signal message which appears on the monitor display. Just note down the time interval it took for the no signal message to change to standby.

Now again switch off and then switch on just the monitor and wait for the no signal status as soon as you see the status starts your pc. Hitting the pc power button should be quick and fast. Now the conclusion would be if your monitor immediately jumps from the no signal mode to standby mode faster than the time it took before then be sure that your pc is likely to be dead.