Thread: Dell XPS Gen 4 MotherBoard with bad capacitors

unsure Dell XPS Gen 4 MotherBoard with bad capacitors

I have Dell XPS Gen 4 computer with the Windows Xp Operating System. Yesterday, when I was turning on my Computer suddenly the computer screen turned to blue color and the computer was rebooting again and again. To check this I have opened the cabinet and saw that that the capacitors were bubbling and there was a corrosion on the capacitors.
    That’s why before moving to the forward solution I want you to ask that is it good method to remove the bad capacitor and fix it with a new one? Or I am out of my mind?? Where do I will get the new capacitors?
    Need suggestions guys????

Any information related to this topic would be helpful and appreciated……

smile Re: Dell XPS Gen 4 MotherBoard with bad capacitors

I have seen on many forums that there is a common discussion about this topic. Many people are having the problem of the corroded capacitors with he Dell Computer. I have few knowledge of the hardware of the computer system.
    The only solution I would give to you is go to the badcaps site. They offer the method of the recapping and also provides the kits of the capacitors. Hope this helps…..

Re: Dell XPS Gen 4 MotherBoard with bad capacitors

Is it the only solution for my question?Can anyone from here help me about the solution for the bad capacitors? Please…. Need more suggestions.. Thanak You in advance for the answers

This is true that the bad capacitors are the main culprits in affecting the system performance
    Of the computer. You can indeed replace a bad capacitor if its it resides in your system. But don’t forget to use the same value of the capacitors which you would replace with and also they should have the same voltage. Sometimes, people replace with the different value capacitors with different voltages and have damaged their computer circuits. Most probably you can select a capacitor having high voltage but not with the lower voltage. The rating of the capacitor should be at 105 degree Celsius. This is for the computer usage and tolerance of the 10% or low would not be an issue. A small diagram of what the polarity should be will be there on the Mother-board surface for the purpose of replacing the capacitors. Don’t worry you can do it by yourself If you have some computer and soldering knowledge…..

I have tried to replace the capacitors without the prior knowledge of the voltage and this enabled the circuit of the computer to be killed.So, do not try to replace the capacitors if you aren't aware of the knowledge of it.

Just try to contact with the Computer Engineer.. He would be the proper
    Person to solve this issue…

From the past experience of the capacitors I would tell you that you have to replace all the capacitors which are corroded and bubbling . I had the HP Invent laptop and I had to replace all the capacitors which were corroded. The capacitors which you have to get replaced should be of the low ESR.
    Hope this helps you…….

ThumbsUp Re: Dell XPS Gen 4 MotherBoard with bad capacitors

I have somehow managed to replace the bad capacitors on the motherboard of my dell computer and this has taken a lot of time to solve this issue. The main problem was that I plated the capacitors through the holes. The heat which was produced during the soldering iron was been soaked by the large areas that were present on the back of the Mother-Board. The Weller Gun was the Final Option for me to use. To pull the each lead one at a time during the soldering was over I made the capacitors to cut down across the board. Why I did because I was knowing that if I give too much heat then this will damage my mother-board. So this should be taken into consideration...You can also make the use of the solder sipper to remove the solder if you wish to replace the new capacitor.
    Try this and tell me what are the results…. Good Luck...

You can make the use of the High watt iron to fix the capacitors. This will provide to fix the capacitors with the least transfer of the heat which will not damage the other components of the motherboard which are sensitive. Don’t make the use of the Solder Sipper, Instead make the use of the Solder Wick to remove the extra solder. If you want to clean the lead hole than make the use of the hand-held pin-drill with a 3/64 bit. Once you are finished with the cleaning part then make the use of the end-nipper which would help you to cut the leads from the bottom pf the board. The main problem with the bad capacitors is that they cause the other good capacitors to fall in their category too.
    Smoothing the AC ripples in the circuit is the basic functionality of the capacitors. The another function that capacitors performs that is they pass this AC signals to the another circuits and does not allow the different voltages to enter into that circuits. So that is the reason why the bad capacitors cause the circuits level to fail down……