Thread: Speed up or replace the AMD Duron processor

Speed up or replace the AMD Duron processor

I am looking for a way to speed up my computer. Its is very slow right now. Which processor is the best for this situation. RAM speed up to 2GhZ. My system specs are as follows:
    • Windows XP Home SP3
    • Processor X86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 1 Authenic AMD-1294 Mhz
    • SMBIOS version 2.3
    • Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    • Page File Space 1.24GB

Re: Speed up or replace the AMD Duron processor

Remember that this must be done carefully, since they could potentially damage the hardware environment of your PC , specifically the processor, and this time I'll be direct. If you usually your PC , without overclock is between 70-75 ° even reaching the 80 - not even think to make overclock the processor, PCs now stand quite the overclock, but a maximum ceiling temperature reaches 90, if they exceed that.

The speed of the processors are composed of two parts, one is the FSB is the bus speed of the system, ie the speed with which information passes through the circuitry of your motherboard. The second part is the multiplier, the multiplier is the rate at which the CPU handles the requests. Which is a multiple times the FSB gives the frequency of the processor, such as AMD Duron brings a 100 mhz bus, the 900MHz Duron brings a default multiplier of 9, so 100 * 9 gives the final velocity of 900 mhz. The memoirs also have speed, for example, SDR PC100, this is single 100 MHz data rate, SDR PC133, single data rate is 133 MHz, in the case of DDR PC2100 (266), have a frequency of 133 MHz, but when double data rate, gives a top speed of 266 MHz.

Unfortunately I can not find any information on the mainboard. But it is a Socket A and SD-RAM running at 100MHz and 133 MHz.

That no longer is appropriate processors are made clear to me, maybe I'll find something suitable at eBay.

Unfortunately this is not a question of how fast is the Duron, but it is
    • On the processor core of the model, whether Athlon XP or Duron, and
    • Just the BIOS must support this. Without a BIOS update available NO chance at much faster CPUs.
    • An old Athlon will run on every case, but only until 1200 (true) MHz.
    • An XP (even if the BIOS was XP compatible) without any further updates to the 1800 +. A Sempron at all. And only the old Duron (P-III equivalent) up to 1200 MHz, as well as the old Athlon.

That is an entry-level configuration, certainly would notice the difference with the old, but if you want to play well should take something more powerful and also adds the video card.

First'll see in the bios to see if you can change the clock settings of your pc! you must be able to increase the fsb (htt on some motherboard). if you can change the frequency while other checks required like temps.

To overclock by FSB (Front Side Bus, or System Bus), you should raise this as this is the first multiplier is increased to reach a higher speed, such as the Duron 900, FSB 101 * 9 gives a final velocity of 909 mhz. When you raise the FSB in most of the plates, they also overclocking your PCI and AGP slot, so you must go with care as the main enemy of video cards is the high FSB.

Your motherboard is based on a KM133 chipset, it can not exceed 100MHz.
    So if you want to overclock your processor, your only solution is to connect the L1 bridges of your processor with a criterion.
    Especially is no current circuit between the bridges.

If you want to increase the speed of your Duron overclock is: we must increase the frequency fsb or the multiplier, to do this through the bios, however, attention, your system is likely to be - Because unstable overheating, so before, I recommend putting a cooler on your socket type thermaltake that will lower the temp of about 10 to 15 c.

A 1.3GHz AMD Duron, you can forget about overclocking.
    This is still the old part with Morgan core.
    Because you can be glad to get the higher 100 MHz.