Thread: Dual CPU system for Multitasking Video/gaming

Dual CPU system for Multitasking Video/gaming

I have been looking for a good advice for the intention of to build a dual processor system at the moment. I am huge fan of AMD processors and so i have decided to use the Opteron processor for this dula chip system. I mainly use this system for video encoding as well as for gaming. So i need a best multitasking experience out from this box. Any suggestions would be appreciated for the following specs:
    • Asus KGPE-D16 Motherboard
    • Opteron 6220 (8 core 3ghz) x2 CPUs
    • Corsair DDR3 1600mhz (16gb x2)
    • Asus Mio 888 Sound card
    • AMD 6950 x2 (Crossfire) GPU
    • Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000w PSU
    • Noctua NH-U12DO x2 CPU Cooling
    • 120gb SSD and 2TB WD HDD x2
    • Samsung SH-222 x2
    • 22" MONITOR x3

Re: Dual CPU system for Multitasking Video/gaming

Yes, a CPU usually goes well on a dual CPU board. But watch out when buying it, that you take the dual-CPU version of the CPUs. Some boards are even with only one CPU for the desktop S1366 base, but then the upgrade is denied on a second CPU ... To the CPU coolers, as you look at the best times in the thread to Nehalem EP, there are some cooler that only work on . Otherwise, simply search times a photo of the board and measure whether the desired fit potentially cooler. OC is otherwise very very limited extent, not to say not at all feasible.

The main problem in the configuration should be the starting current of the hard disks. Since there are two solutions:
    First take a power supply, which can quickly deliver more power than indicated and are not equal off. For example, Seasonic is known.
    Second Using controllers that can spin up a sequential, so turn the plates in sequence. Such options are partially hidden in the controller BIOS - since you have to look after.

There must be supporting the game server. Just have to look at the relevant times for the keyword SMP servers.

as already said, the operating system and the software will also support dual processors explicitly. Then in game to play with the Q3 engine, others looking at the moment I do not. At best I would take for something like Linux, but also managed several processors and then distributes the load on this no matter what software is running, and there is always a game server for nearly every game a Linux server ...