Thread: Need a Faster Opteron processor better than Phenom II x4 980 3.7 GHz

Need a Faster Opteron processor better than Phenom II x4 980 3.7 GHz

I will be intending to perform some extreme memory calculations - We need 8 to 15GB of RAM per CPU core, with usual 4 or higher cores I need 32GB to 64GB of RAM.I desire best CPU around. Am I right that Phenom II x4 980 3.7 GHz will be the fastest CPU around? Or perhaps some opteron will be a better option?

Re: Need a Faster Opteron processor better than Phenom II x4 980 3.7 GHz

I would advise to first learn the location where the speed limiting bottlenecks are, just before purchasing any hardware. I imagine that, if your processes are memory intensive or I/O heavy, then the high-GHz CPU might boost the program less than you thought. High bandwidth and fast memory access will be far more helpful then.

I don't know of any AM3 motherboard supporting over 32 GB, in the event it. The "if" are a wide if, given that they would need to match 4 slots, and I've never seen unbuffered non-ECC DDR3 RAM @ 8 GB per stick.

In my opinion, I might have a preference that way, because of the amounts of memory involved, and the error probability that fits it. With 8 sticks of this, plus a Super micro H8SGL motherboard, you can discover yourself a 64 GB system at a quite sensible price.

Only then you would need to abandon your plan to obtain a Phenom motherboard, and must accept a seemingly slower Opteron system instead. If it's really slower would remain to be benchmarked.

RAM speed is going to be critical. Can there be large difference between Phenom memory access and Opteron memory access? AFAIK this latest phenom is using very similar technology to the people 8/12 core opterons on G34 socket. Therefore I was expecting that RAM access may have similar speed, and that comparing clockspeed is smart in this case?

With a 6128 and 64 GB RAM installed. Can't say anything awful about it, even though that doesn't say much for the cause that my requirements are dissimilar from yours: I require more something like a truck, not a racecar, and I don't require high end graphics. You will be able to setup usual PCIe x16 graphics card there, although just one, and it won't run at full speed.

I was expecting that RAM access may have similar speed, and that comparing clockspeed is smart in this case?
    Comparing clock speed makes no sense if RAM speed is the restrictive issue for speed of the calculations as a complete, i.e. when the CPU make use of most of its time waiting for data from RAM. Like I said earlier, you require knowing the bottleneck, that is: when, where and how your program use most of its time.

Current AMD desktop offers 16GB Per Motherboard (4*4 GB).If you require more than 16 GB, than you don’t have more option .you need to go with Opteron if you desire to stick with AMD CPUs.The Best unit for you would perhaps be two Opteron 4186s, Which works @ 2.9 GHz and can support up to 96 GB Per Motherboard with existing Ram technology. There are 3.1 GHz Opteron 2393 has faster core, although they are further expensive DDR2 memory.

As far as Opteron memory access vs. Phenom II memory access, it varies. If you have one Opteron running unbuffered memory, the memory recital will be precisely the similar as a Phenom II. If you run numerous Opteron CPUs, your memory bandwidth will be a lot superior and latency will be the identical or higher. Running registered memory with Opterons boost latency and decreases efficient bandwidth although boost your memory capacity (and price!) by a big amount. What you do depends on what you cost the most.

It is mostly worried about RAM capacity, not speed. "Slow" RAM is still 20+ times faster than the fastest hard drive that you’d be swapping to if you doesn’t have sufficient RAM.