Thread: Can I compile code on AMD Opteron and run on AMD Xeon?

Can I compile code on AMD Opteron and run on AMD Xeon?

The users of this particular forum has helped me a lot to get the requirement of mine. well I wanted to know whether there is sort of compatibility between the mixture of the opteron and xeon cluster. I wanted to say that source code into opteron 64 bit by making use of gcc and the binary on Xeon would work?

Re: Can I compile code on AMD Opteron and run on AMD Xeon?

As far as I know there should not be any issue while doing the above mentioned thing. We are compiling the firmware on the different kind of the Optiplex machines and they can run on AMD and Intel processors.

The chances of running of the binary is totally dependent on whether you are using CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS. After that you will not required to do the binary compiled with the SIMD extensions which one of the chip is not executing. In case you are supposed to use the -msse4a or -march=Barcelona in the flags than it will prompt with an error message illegal instruction as none of the Intel CPU are having support for the SSE4A instructions.
    However you can use the -msse3 if you are supposed to running the dual-core or Opterons. Because all the 64-bit Xeons and the dual-core are having support for the SSE3.

In this particular situation I wanted to tell you that the compiled code on the different kind of the processors is dependent on the optimization flags which are provided by the compiler at the time of the compiling. The Compiling on the one CPU and running on the another one will not make any difference into the performance until and unless the compiler optimization flags are not set to the auto-detect and auto-optimize for compiling CPU..

I wanted to tell you that you should avoid the usage of -march=native with GCC and it will auto-optimize for CPU on which the compilation is performed. There is no need of doing anything with (-march) option.

Well after going through the issue of yours I wanted to tell you that the compiling of the opteron running on the Xeon is working ok. However there will be some kind of performance issue while doing the same.