Thread: Not able to get a RAID 0 array up on the GA-990FXA-UD5

Not able to get a RAID 0 array up on the GA-990FXA-UD5

I am trying to get a RAID 0 array up on the GA-990FXA-UD5 but then I am not able to do so, I will like to share that I was not having any problem while running the same drives RAID 0 on a GA-790XTA-UD4 and I had used a Marvell controller for it but then I don’t know why I am not able to do it for GA-990FXA-UD5, I have also tried to use Marvell controller and AMD controller as well but then I have not got any success. Is there anyone who can help me out with the process? Any help regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: Not able to get a RAID 0 array up on the GA-990FXA-UD5

I am trying to get a RAID 0 array up on the GA-990FXA-UD5 but then I am not able to do so, I will like to share that I was not having any problem while running the same drives RAID 0 on a GA-790XTA-UD4 and I had used a Marvell controller for it but then I don’t know why I am not able to do it for GA-990FXA-UD5, I have also tried to use Marvell controller and AMD controller as well but then I have not got any success. Is there anyone who can help me out with the process? Any help regarding the same will be appreciated.
    I don’t think that anyone will be able to get your problem from what you have specified, I mean can you just explain it in a nit detail that what problem you have faced and at which mode you have faced it. Just try to explain it step by step for further help.

I have tried to configure drive ports for RAID in BIOS and after that I went in to the RAID setup utility and had created a new RAID volume which was having both Vertex drives as well, after that I had boot in to the windows and then installed the RAID drivers and it was loaded successfully as well but then I don’t know why windows failed to recognize the raid volume. Later when I rebooted the machine then I found that the RAID firmware has reported the array as offline. When I checked in to the RAID utility then I found that one drive had disappeared and also the BIOS config screen was not showing the drives. I had tried to change the raid mode to the ide mode and then when I rebooted than the drives were showing up. I think that there is something wrong with the mobo or controller but then I am not very much sure about it. Hope my problem is clear to you now.

I think that you should try out the following:
    • Try to mount both ssd drives as the regular ide and after that just try to format each of them in Windows.
    • You can also try to setup a different pair of drives in a RAID setup, I mean that you can try the non ssd ones as well.

Just try the above solution and then see if it is making any difference.

I don’t think that there might be something wrong with the mobo or controller because I have tried to run ADATA SSD's in a RAID0 Array and I did not had any problem while doing the same. I will also like to suggest you that you should not use the Marvell controller for your RAID Array because I have personally tried doing so and I have found it under performing as well. I just wanted to know that which version of bios you are using? And what are you using f5 or f6? Other than these just provide me your system specs as well for further help.

Ok then, I have recently updated BIOS to F6 and here is the system Specs of my machine:
    • GA-990FXA-UD5
    • AMD FX-8150
    • ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler
    • G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR
    • 2 x OCZ Vertex SSD
    • 1 WD Caviar Green 640 GB HDD
    • 1 Seagate 250 GB HDD
    • EVGA GeForce GTS 250 1GB

I have gone through your system specs and I don’t think that anything is wrong with your system but then I just wanted to know that before trying to set up the raid array have you tried to do a Secure Erase in order to clean the SSD's or have you tried dong the same for several times??

I have not tried it before but then now I have done the same for several times and I also wanted to add that I have now Re-flashed both drives to 1.7 with the help of the destructive flash and I have made a secure erase using the mobo RAID utility and after that I have rebuilt the array as well and now I am able to restore the original windows boot image on the array and then the problem appears to be solved by now. Any ways thanks for your help so far.

I have not tried it before but then now I have done the same for several times and I also wanted to add that I have now Re-flashed both drives to 1.7 with the help of the destructive flash and I have made a secure erase using the mobo RAID utility and after that I have rebuilt the array as well and now I am able to restore the original windows boot image on the array and then the problem appears to be solved by now. Any ways thanks for your help so far.

I don’t think that there might have been problem with the Marvell Controller but then if you say that you have solved your problem by erasing the mobo utility and all then its good.I personally don’t use IDE mode for my DVD/CD Burner and I think that the Marvell SATA controller and I think that the Marvell Controller can be a negative aspect of the board as well. I had found people having problem with that but then they were not highly rated as per the problem you were facing.