Thread: UEFI Boot Drive order in MSI 990XA-GD55 BIOS

UEFI Boot Drive order in MSI 990XA-GD55 BIOS

I have observed in the BIOS intended for Boot Order that there are options meant for UEFI Boot Drives. These are all down in the end of the order similar to 8th otherwise 9th positions. What are they for and do I require hassling with these?

Re: UEFI Boot Drive order in MSI 990XA-GD55 BIOS

To install the UEFI boot mode when you need only select "UEFI drive." To clarify why the thing would then hang but precise details important to your system

For me the question is more in terms of bone BIOS of the motherboard, in any case the classical and EFI bios recognize your disk, just UEFI allows for managing large capacities. it's more a matter of driver after.

I do not certify my words because I never tested card EFI.

It's not really a question of fashion but OS partition MBR or GPT classic. If I change my CM, but also for the old backup in carrying disks from one PC to another as I have always done. If I have to switch to GPT for the new card can boot the OS, since I do not care will not work on the old CM that has a traditional BIOS. Not really want to tinker with GRUB risks involved, especially in waste of time

Meanwhile, I was a part of the answer: the UEFI cannot start a drive partitioned MBR scheme. As I feared, must be converted to partition MBR to GPT, regardless of its size. I have no doubt that the disk is physically recognized in its details but there is a difference between recognizing and physically be able to boot an OS on whether the partitioning scheme is not recognized by the map mother. Remains to confirm that the Hybrid EFI or BIOS from Gigabyte allows booting a MBR disk diagram without editing. This seems to be the case but I would like a confirmation, the CM of this type are available for a few months anyway...

UEFI you need especially if you want to boot from a hard disk that is larger than 2 terabytes, or if you want to speed up the boot process of windows clearly. As UEFI is not long on the market, the disadvantages are not yet fully assessed. It can, however, several features make statements that are already built into UEFI and could be integrated..

If a UEFI PC is started, the boot process takes place in three steps. After switching on the PC will start in the first step, the Pre-EFI Initialization (PEI). CPU, RAM and chipset - - Here, the main components of the PC are turned on. In the second step, the PC goes into the Driver Execution Environment (DXE). In this state parallel the drivers for the hardware components are integrated, Windows will take over. In the third phase, the operating system starts. As UEFI know which is the boot drive, which eliminates time-consuming search for the boot loader - Windows is started immediately. Instead of the boot drive is therefore only given the boot loader for Windows.

The UEFI bring this extensibility so lacking in BIOS. The UEFI a base for the EFI that is developed in C, where a lot of flexibility to incorporate future developments. The EFI was notably adopted by Apple for Mac computers during the transition to the Intel architecture. And if it is not a concern to a faster start that led to the integration of EFI, Mark Doran argues that with the UEFI, individuals will see an improvement at this level, but can still compete with the instant-on OS.

They are there is something, but I hope especially that UEFI will really deliver on its promises, including faster startup and improved interface. And above all there is no bug, because it does more than that fail to extend a two-year life of the BIOS...