Thread: MSI 990FXA-GD80 Bios took Five Minutes to boot

MSI 990FXA-GD80 Bios took Five Minutes to boot

I have just configured a new PC and from the "get go" the bios has taken just about five minutes in order to boot. Error codes are 99 (preceding 4 minutes) then switches toward B4 (final 1 minute) then the system boots just very well. I have been capable to update the bios to the most up to date version by the use of MSI USB flasher tool but still no avail. The system specifications are as follows:
    • MSI 990FXA-GD80 Motherboard
    • AMD FX-8150
    • 16GB DDR pc2133 G.Skill Ram
    • OCZ SSD
    • Western Digital HDD
    • Sapphire 6950 Graphics Card

Re: MSI 990FXA-GD80 Bios took Five Minutes to boot

Do you have USB devices connected, the USB key? If so, try turning them off.

Tries in the BIOS to disable the USB boot, with an initial boot CD or boot disk.

I looked in the BIOS, BOOT principal is on the CD and the secondary hard drive.
    I also unplugged my entire USB device but it still puts as much time with the same problem, I don’t have a USB drive plugged in but a printer, keyboard and mouse connected via USB.

The temporary removal of the battery is in principle a good idea, with a desktop PC, I would do it immediately, it is, however, a laptop! I really have no idea where they that have installed the battery and the device I want to € 900 so do not even deal.

We have solved the problem described in the meantime, however, now comes another - not so serious - in its place.

Sticking point was a setting in the BIOS, which is called "USB Legacy Support". After the deactivation of the POST went even faster than "normal."

Testing times whether it is expected in the BIOS maybe the third DVD and possibly put on 2 IDE Channel Master Back to Auto or to "none". To me it sounds as if the computer still expects a device and continues until after the timeout, the boot sequence.

The issue raised is now moving further back in the boot process. After Windows loaded obvious (Windows logo appears), was still black for about 1 minute of screen, then everything goes more or less normal. The boot process takes a total of now (still) acceptable 2 minutes. The reboot of the "resting state" is much faster. Defragmenting the Windows boot files has not really helped anything.

It lies on the main memory, more precisely on the cache (L2 cache). Because if a processor does not use a cache (e.g. if it is defective, or that was disabled in BIOS), then take the boats actually true 5-15 minutes (depending on model, peripherals, etc. then again this is different). Just is. Since the processor does not use a cache, that all operations must cope without this immensely important part of a modern processor. Each command to boot must be performed individually, and cannot be conducted in a "queue" that is in the cache as a queue. And then just takes. Although this cache is defective (whether intentionally or not by overheating), this effect may occur.

First check the cache in the BIOS. Check if it is turned on. If so, that's bad schonmal. Schonmal could indicate failure to NEN.

Are you using an AMD Athlon / Phenom? If so, this phenomenon would be nothing unusual. It often leads to such problems, especially for low-cost CPUs like Phenom I 9950 or similar!

As a second check in the BIOS Shadowed is whether or not to enable. Ought not necessarily be turned.

Third, I would check if the processor gets too little power and then as a FOURTH time I would take a closer look at the memory. But it must actually lie in the cache.

If it really is not the cache is (which I do not think so), a), the CPU partially defective (something on you can find e.g. cache defective => partially broken) or b) the CPU is supported not even addressed wrong by improper or incorrect bios!

Everything needs to checked and that’s the only way to resolve the problem. I hope you find the solution. Many have given you the most important clues here. Good luck anyway.

I have the same problem with -GD65 and a 1100t cpu.

with this topic i got to the problem, my steelseries xai, when i remove it works fast. when i plug it in after boot, system hangs for considerable amount of time. unfreezes directly with removal. this is in windows, bios, post.

also tested the mouse on an other system and there it works like a charm. only dont have a spare mouse to test.

i also updated to the new bios version.