Thread: MSI K9M6PGM2 motherboard overheating

MSI K9M6PGM2 motherboard overheating

Hi, i have recently purchased a computer rig in which i have installed MSI K9M6PGM2 motherboard and everything was just working fine but after sometime i came to know that the machine gets overheated just because of the motherboard, but the thing that i am not getting is like what could be the reason causing such problem with the machine? anyways let me tell as i have installed windows 7 in my machine but i don’t think that could be the reason. Anyway is there anybody over here having same models motherboard and having same problem with their machine? Any suggestion for resolving this would be appreciated.

Re: MSI K9M6PGM2 motherboard overheating

see according to me there could be so many problems associated with this overheating and for determining that we must have to test the machine in each aspect. In addition, you should be aware as motherboard is not the only factor that can cause overheating in the machine, so you should ensure whether the problem is because of the motherboard or with any other hardware.

Have you installed any graphic card as well in the machine? and if so then please mentioned which GPU, after that which PSU you are using, which processor you are using with this motherboard? See the basic thing is like it would be more better if you mentioned all this thing once because whenever we attach any unmatched hardware in the system can also cause other hardware to ma malfunction which in turn result in overheating.

have you ever tried overclocking your machine? because see for overclocking the hardware needs that capable hardware as well, and the i don;t think the one you have mentioned is that good.

so first, if you have tried any such yet then you should first get the whole thing to their default and then see what happens. overclocking a machine is also a major concerning issue when it comes to overheating.

i am completely agree with the above user as there could be so many problem associated with this but still I believe that it would be always better to start troubleshooting the problem from the software’s and thus according to me the major reason that can cause such problems is the drivers that we used to install it in the machine for running those particular hardware such as audio and video. Thus it might be possible that the driver that you have installed in the machine might have been corrupted or not working perfectly. So it would be better if you reinstall the drivers in the machine once more and then see whether you are having same problem or not. In fact over here you can have another option as well like rather than installing the same driver you should try to download them again from the product manufacturer’s official website and then install those downloaded drivers.

Though i am agree with the above user but still together with the drivers the most important other concern is the BIOS that we install for detecting other hardware’s. thus i would like to recommend you that along with the drivers you should also upgrade the BIOS. And make sure the BIOS version you are trying to install in your machine is the latest one and best suitable with your motherboard model, or else again it would be next to worthless.

As far as i know almost all the hardware i have installed is quite rather well matched with all other hardware’s anyways see i have mentioned the configuration i have installed in my machine.

CPU - AMD 7750 x2
    Motherboard - MSI K9M6PGM2
    RAM – corsair 4GB
    GPU - NVIDIA GeForce 6150
    PSU – 450watts.
    OS – windows 7 64bit.

Actually i haven’t mentioned earlier as this is happening as i starts playing games such as Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2 and many others, so is this happening only because of that? Please help me as i am just scared of losing hardware.

i would like to recommend you that you should make use of any thermal compound material in your machine in order to resist heat in your machine, in fact it would be always good to control such overheating but over here this can also turn to be the cause, as crappy thermal paste and lack of airflow is usually also been the culprit thus if you are not aware about the exact procedure for having it then it should be better to approach a good engineer over here and let him do this for you.

i think there could be some problem with the GPU you have installed, you should make sure whether all it is working perfectly or not. And if possible it would be better if you add little 40x40mm fan in your cabinet and then see the difference because i think this is also one of the good way to keep the machine cool but along with this if you don’t have any financial glitch then i would like to suggest you that you should install liquid cooling in your machine rather than this fans.

Since that’s the newer technology towards such overheating issue, in fact you can have another option as well such as keep the machine in the coolest area and let the cool air passes through the cabinet.

- i would say you should try to reinstall the operating system that you have installed because i think that could be the only test remain with respect to software, because after that surely i can say that as there could be some problem with any hardware only.

And for that you should try to appoint a good hardware engineer and test the whole hardware once because it might be possible that you may have to replace the hardware in your machine.

see i have tried almost each and everything you have mentioned above but still no LUCK, in fact i doubt as surely there us some problem with the hardware only, and if so then is it replaceable?

As you have mentioned you are using 450watts power supply and that’s why the whole thing is happening.

I would say you should try to use another PSU in your machine having at least 600 watts and then see what happens, because for the games you have mentioned this is the require hardware since they used to consume more power and that generally leads to overheating.

off course as in fact i was about to recommend you the same thing as rather testing the machine on your own you should visit the service center of your motherboard and then see what they are saying about the same and if there could be some real hardware fault by default then surely you’ll get an replacement for that particular hardware and if suppose they couldn’t found glitch in the machine then also you’ll surely get some sort of solution from there. I always use to recommend this only, because if you made any damage in the hardware then surely you have to pay for the services or else you’ll be benefitted free of cost.