Thread: Low voltages reported in H/W monitor

blush Low voltages reported in H/W monitor

Hello all,
    I have an issue with my computer. When I boot it up, I get a message stating "H/W monitor system status abnormal" and it says to press F1 to continue or Del to enter setup.
    So I hit Del to enter BIOS and went to the Hardware Monitor where I found the following voltages:
    vcore: 2.09
    mem: 1.9
    1.2v HT: 1.5
    NB: 1.45
    SB: 1.53
    CPU VTT: 1.26
    DDR2 Termination: .94
    3.3v: 2.8
    5v: 4.48
    12v: 10.68

I don't really know what any of those are (except for 'mem' which I assume to be the RAM) or what the values are supposed to be. I Googled the issue and found that the generally accepted tolerance level on the 3.3, 5, and 12 volt readings is about +/- 5%. Mine read 10% low!

I don't really want to share this next part because it's somewhat embarassing. But I think it might be related to my issue.
    I recently switched out the motherboard and by mistake I connected the power switch wires and the cpu fan to the wrong pins. The power switch wire was connected in such a way that the positive (from the switch) was not connected at all to the motherboard and the negative (from the switch) was connected to the negative power switch pin on the motherboard. The cpu fan connector was shifted to the left by one pin (looking down on the mobo the key on the top).
    What are the chances my blunder is causing my voltage issues? What other causes might there be? Is there a simple fix? Or am I looking at a new mobo or psu?

Re: Low voltages reported in H/W monitor

It seems that your power supply is dying and cannot output the power that is utilized by the system. It might be also that the fan could be going bad and not spinning up to full speed. So check the fans to make sure they are all spinning. In any case, I suggest you get a new power supply, quick before it fries some of the components in the system.

Re: Low voltages reported in H/W monitor

So a dying power supply is really the only cause then? It never did this before my blunder.....Might it be possible I damaged the power supply?

EDIT: I just realized I made a typo in my first post and apparently I can longer edit it. This:
    "...the negative (from the switch) was connected to the negative power switch pin on the motherboard."

should be:
    "...the negative (from the switch) was connected to the positive power switch pin on the motherboard."
    Last edited by ShadowMage; 30-08-2011 at 07:41 PM.