Thread: 24 pin connector melting in 7 MSI 890fx-GD70 Motherboards

24 pin connector melting in 7 MSI 890fx-GD70 Motherboards

I have 7 890FX-GD70 each one of them have dual CPU 6990 and 1055T, but also have the OCZ PSU zx 1250 watts on all systems is not overclocked. They have been performing perfectly for 4 months, until they started off and I noticed two yellow wires in the connector 24-pin power supply that goes to the motherboard has begun to melt and all seven systems have the same trouble. I'm listening I'm not the only one with this problem and connectors fusion in this particular forum as well.

Re: 24 pin connector melting in 7 MSI 890fx-GD70 Motherboards

After searching in google on it I found some interesting conclusions. I found that if powers supply voltage is used that has a little above the main bar of the rails instead of video, is more likely to melt the ATX 24-pin connector. This means that you can measure the likelihood of your system are very sensitive to this phenomenon. I suggest you measure the voltage at pins 10 and 11, and then pins 1, 2 and 3PCIe power connector. Terminals 1, 2 and 3 should be almost exactly the same voltage. I myself compared with the pins 10 and 11 voltages, exactly. If 10 and 11 are higher, with a high risk of getting cast 24-pin ATX plug problem (in theory).

If you ask me then I would advise you that variations of only 0.02V should be ignored, such small voltage differences may be caused by voltage changes in time between moving the probe, and probably beyond the accuracy of your instrument. In my opinion, you will need more as 0.05 or 0.1 V differences. Voltage capacity can be made use of almost any black wire on the plug 24 pin to ground (also known as 0 V), always use the same for all capacity report. Capacity can be different in different loading conditions, such as CPU load SRAM load vs load against the charts, and component temperature readings can change too.

I doubt what your results might be in dissimilar circumstances, whether or not this theoretical risk remains the same. The addition of this theory is that if the 24-pin ATX 11 pins 10 and at least 0.1 V in voltage PCIe connector, you must by no means have melted the 24-pin connector problem. Also, if you have a single rail PSU should be less likely to have the cast 24-pin ATX plug problem if this hypothesis is true, since the voltage measurements on all 12 points of V in theory should be exactly the same except slightly lower than where a lot of energy flowing. I would also like to listen to anyone with or without a single lane in the use of power crisis experienced by the 24-pin ATX connector.

As far as I'm concerned the only reason that if the PSU plug that goes into the motherboard was not installed correctly or the contacts too large to make good contact. The pins on the motherboard are all equal and are welded continuously on the motherboard. Another thing should be short between the motherboard and case, as can be hidden for months as the plates are coated to seal the rails from corrosion. However, I find it hard to believe 7 power supplies are defective, and 7 cards are defective. In my opinion there is something wrong with the assembly of motherboards.

The OP is to use these to try and build the currency to get rich soon, working 24 / 7 with 4 GPU in it (2 x dual-GPU card), excessive current through the connector 24 and not enough by 8 pins. The OP choose the board does not do is a business, but should have chosen a model with an extra 12 volt connector for the GPU, especially with the intensive to do with compilations. The tips are not the server board is not designed for such abuse. It's like when we turn, we know that push the limits of hardware and my part I will not blame a manufacturer for it.

Yes, I agree as the source of power through the PCI-Express is limited to 75 W for the PCI-Express, it must not melt, yet though there is no onboard PCI-Express (in other words, the connectors must be able to handle at least 150W if two video cards are installed). That amounts to at least 12.5 A split between the two lines of 12V ATX 24-pin connector, which is plenty for only two wires / pins. In other words: Let's say the current is properly limited to remain within specifications, but wire 12V 6.25A was really too much anyway, that what we have here would be a potential security problem inherent power to the same specifications.