Thread: Unable to Boot MSI 890FXA-GD70 and BIOS v1.9

Unable to Boot MSI 890FXA-GD70 and BIOS v1.9

After updating the BIOS on my 890FXA-GD70 to version 1.9, I realized that many Linux-based Live CD / DVD special purpose distros and DVDs left boot.

What quit working:
    • Parted Magic v 5.7 through 6.0 (Kernel Panic)
    • Knoppix 6.4.3 (Kernel Panic)
    • Partition Manager ESE v10 (Frozen)
    • Clonezilla several recent versions (Frozen)
    • Ubuntu 10.10 (Frozen, Though this later worked with ACPI=off boot parameter)

I do not know why in particular, but found no reference to this anywhere and wanted to save others from this, and MSI warning to the subject. I tried all combinations of BIOS settings I could think of, exchange ATI and Nvidia video cards and slots, three different DVD drives in two SATA ports and IDE port, and the exchange of all the RAM.

re: Unable to Boot MSI 890FXA-GD70 and BIOS v1.9

Me and his backhand similar sounds, usually stick with ASUS motherboards, but this MSI board had stable, high-grade sound, five size PCI-E, USB 3.0, and with the support of the X6 1090T CPU wanted. This is the first of what I hope will be many systems based on this forum. Other equipment: CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B Corsair (4x4GB DDR3) Corsair 750W PS TX750v2 and Max Zalman 9900 CPU cooler in a case of Antec Solo. I'm changing Dell's custom-built systems to achieve something more expandable and upgradeable, and still quiet as the Dell machines that have been buying for years. I bought this version of quality control and engineering, and the reception has been very positive and excellent reference points.

I'm not sure what that "Linux" means to you. For me, the inability to boot from multiple Linux distributions and Linux-based tools would exclude a machine for use in our workplace. They both play an integral part of our advance and preservation processes. As I said, with our other supplier, Asus, we got in the habit of applying the latest stable version if it was a few months, or if it was the first time we have a particular MB model. This is almost never a setback for us. I do not mean only limited knowledge seems to be a trouble with the MSI BIOS updates, but the moderators of this forum since then to encourage that belief. For me it is a big problem after upgrading to 1.9, so that others do not waste time testing a known issue, and possibly making MSI has, if not already.

I find it strange that MB vendors do not know more about BIOS updates to help those trying to make purchasing decisions or considering a BIOS upgrade as part of a solution to the problems they are encountering. Because it is important for sellers to provide the best recovery options they can for their clients, and I think the GD-70-890FXA is a good example of that reflection. Any overclocker will play with the BIOS setup almost constantly, and new BIOS updates. Let them try new CPUs or re-test your settings against the new firmware to see if anything is better than ever, or if something got worse.

We do a lot of overclocking on the machines work, but the accessible controls are significant to us so we can deal with troubles without hardware handshaking. For example, we have two more Phenom X4 systems that are at a clock frequency for stability reasons, as the CPU we happened to get his temps were too close to maximum when the stress tests with default settings. Much of what we do here can act on a machine like the stress tests, so it slowed down to extend the life and stability of the CPU, instead of buying new ones. For your information, if after the MSI supplied by the upgrade process, the CMOS settings are removed at the end of the firmware and well off (or removing the battery) is not essential for this forum. And there's the CMOS reset button on the rear too, for that matter.

Yes, the same cleaning CMOS case with Asus and Gigabyte boards, too, but if you want to be sure the cleaning is done properly there is no power in the system. I agree to update the information could be more specific. Is not it also said somewhere update only if there is a problem you have is resolved by a new version of BIOS? That's at least what we say here. A new BIOS update may also need to be altered in other ways to be able to solve a problem, and thus create problems if you never had the "first" problem. - I do not know very well, but it is plausible.

Re: Unable to Boot MSI 890FXA-GD70 and BIOS v1.9

Updating the BIOS is not like a driver update, at least not today. No universally improve performance or the provision of new features. Or is it solves a problem or BIOS able to understand the new hardware. V1.A0 bios I'm running the most recent. Starting right from the CD real image, I had problems with booting Linux before, but back to update the BIOS and then hit the CMOS, but clear and then re-enter all nfos. Then I was able to boot from Linux-based utility CD.