Thread: MSI X48C Platinum memory and boot troubleshooting

MSI X48C Platinum memory and boot troubleshooting

I've been running this X48C for about two years with 2 x 2 GB DDR2 800Hz. That has worked reasonably well. The only trouble was that when the PC is first turned on the computer is almost always frozen when the Windows Vista loading bar appeared on the screen. Then had to give the computer a hard reset and then boot Vista well and functioning correctly. Since almost all time I worked on the second try I just live with the discomfort. I recently wanted to limit my memory, so I bought four sticks of 2 GB DDR3, KVR1333D3N9/2G; I made sure they were in the compatibility list. After connecting, I had to reboot several times and was only when I removed the turbo cards that I have Vista to start.

re: MSI X48C Platinum memory and boot troubleshooting

I had the same problem before and tried to use DDR3 in a single-slot DIMM2, without success. Now I tried a DDR3 DIMM5 and to my surprise, the boot is beyond the usual warning not overclock. The hard drive began to correct errors and was about 2.3 is done when the lights went out again. The next time you start Vista managed to load completely. Scheduled, this time it took 7 min 40 sec before the power went out again. However, this is more than I have with DDR3 and the problems began.

Literally from the start the monitor H / W in the BIOS showed a temperature of 102 C CPU / 215 F. When he reached 108 C / 226 F after a couple of minutes I turned it off. Since it is temporary, while expected to only be expected to explain why the system became more stable, eliminating things and move the bar away from a processor memory. It may still be a coincidence, but since I did that the system is started directly, without false starts or not overclock messages.

Well, progress has been made, but unfortunately I'm back at the beginning. I connected everything again and from setting the CPU cooling of DDR2 seems to be working as before. DDR3 memory was trying to install when this all began is still not working well. I tried to move around the DDR3 and in different combinations, but so far the only setting that works is one module with 2 GB of DDR3-in DIMM5. When I try anything to get the same false starts and there is no overclock warning as before. The four modules are counted in the postcheck however.

I followed his advice. But before I checked the four modules of DDR3-in slot knew worked. They managed to boot Windows very well so none of them seems to be corrupted. After rinsing CMOS I had to enter the BIOS in order to rearrange the boot priority device but I made other alterations. The system does not boot correctly after that, I got the warning message is not overclocking. I selected the option "save the current BIOS settings" and then load a Windows restart. Turn off the computer and added a second DDR3 memory in the slot indicated by the manual, but when it restarts did not work, nothing happened, except listen to the HD reliving again and again.

I've tried some different combinations of memory and discovered something. If you fill the gaps # 5 and # 6 with DDR3 system is stable and will start without any problems every time (at least so far). According to the manual this should be the rule of the people is supposed to be the memory in slots # 2 and # 5 or slots # 3 and # 6. After starting the system with the memory slot # 5 and # 6 a couple of times I have added a third memory slot # 2. At first would not start, but then gave me no warning about overclocking and over the selection to maintain the current configuration of the BIOS Windows loads I have three DDR3 memory modules. I decided to try to reboot to see if it was a one-time occurrence and it was he, the system was unable to obtain even in the BIOS setup this time, not just speed up and down the HD. .. I tried again a few times with the memory at # 5, # 6 and # 3 as well as memory modules in all slots DDR3-but never managed to even the BIOS settings.

Re: MSI X48C Platinum memory and boot troubleshooting

I have not been able to prove yet another power supply. If I can get my hands I will. But I'm not convinced that the power supply is the problem; since it addressed the problem of overheating have not had the shortage of energy. I rather suspect it's something with the communication between the two sets of DIMM slots on the MB is bad. According to the manual memory settings works for me is not correct, however, is stable. And the configuration to be correct does not work at all.