Thread: GA-790FXTA-UD5 Motherboard having Noctua NH-U12P cooler installed

GA-790FXTA-UD5 Motherboard having Noctua NH-U12P cooler installed

I am assembling a machine for my home. I am thinking of installing Noctua NH-U12P cooler in GA-790FXTA-UD5 Motherboard. I have Corsair XMS memory (CMX8GX3M4B1333C9) which provides little clearance for the front fan. I want to know that can I attach to the CPU fan header and the other fan to the PWR fan header. Should I attach the fan in the front or rear of the headers? Or should I attach to the PSU. Also tell me that do I need to change the bios settings.

Re: GA-790FXTA-UD5 Motherboard having Noctua NH-U12P cooler installed

If you ask me that then I would say yes. I will join the two cables for which I will use a splitter cable’s will also make sure that the both fans receive proper amount of supply. You will also need to make sure about the PSU molex connector. Later connect them directly to the PSU connecter. You can search more on this in other forums too. If you don’t get the solution then get back to me

Well according to me using motherboard fan for this cooler is a very good option. For this you will have to work out little with the BIOS. You will need to disable the hardware Thermal Control, CPU Smart FAN Control and System Smart FAN Control under the PC Health Status section of the BIOS. By doing this Noctua NH-U12P fan will run at good speed. Well this way you can use the motherboard header.

Well yes you can do it. It is your choice where you have to connect the fans. As you have space in the front side you can install a fan there. You can power the Noctua fans directly from the PSU or from a dedicated fan controller. You will have to make certain settings in the bios. Make sure that you have the upgraded BIOS. I also had the almost the same query and the forums available on different sites really helped me. You can consult any hardware person to guide you properly

But yes let me mention here something very important that if you are going to connect the fans directly to the PSU, you may not need to make the BIOS settings as there will be no fans attached to the header and it will not affect the performance of the CPU also. Corsair XMS memory (CMX8GX3M4B1333C9) will give more space for the fan to get installed in the front.