Thread: Problems with Port Multiplier driver installation

Problems with Port Multiplier driver installation

Hello helpers!

I'm having problems installing a RAID controller (Port Multiplier) because windows xp doesn't seem to want to load the drivers. The product is a Sonnet Tempo E4P.

I'm running XP Pro (SP3) 32 bit.

The computer knows that a new device has been put in and the following appears in device manager - Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller. Windows reports this device as working properly, using a driver that was written in 2001, but when i go to install the actual drivers for the card it tells me that “the specified location does not contain information about your hardware”. If i uninstall the drivers the device disappears from the device manager list. When i reboot, the device is back on the list and 'working properly' despite not working properly. My understanding is that the name will change from Standard blah blah Controller to Sonnet Tempo E4P etc etc once the driver is installed. The device is not working properly as it's not connecting with my external HD enclosure. Power is getting to the cord however.

I've tried all the usual things like downloading most recent drivers for the device, uninstalling drivers etc.

I'm thinking that i need to stop windows from installing it's own driver for the device (or PCIe slot?) at boot up so that it will let me install the proper Sonnet one.

Any suggestions as to how to solve this problem??

Re: Problems with Port Multiplier driver installation

From the web, to correctly install the driver, use the Found New Hardware wizard that starts the first time you plug the USB-Blaster cable into the PC. Do not use the Add Hardware wizard from the Control Panel.

If you get this error, uninstall the USB-Blaster driver then reinstall it, using the following procedures:
    1. Plug the USB-Blaster cable into the PC.
    2. On the taskbar, click Start then click Settings and then click Control Panel. Double-click System.
    3. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager
    4. Under Universal Serial Bus controllers, right-click the Altera USB-Blaster device, and click Uninstall on the pop-up menu
    5. Unplug the USB-Blaster.
    6. Restart Windows.