Thread: Raid intact while changing Computer

Raid intact while changing Computer

I have a very unique question. I had doubts about it so thought about asking you experts. Is it feasible to keep Raid intact while moving hard drives from one MSI motherboard to another model? Lately I have a MSI 890GXM motherboard for an AMD Phenom X6 processor. Also I have plans to by a new system with Intel 2600K. What should I do further?

Re: Raid intact while changing Computer

If you ask my decision then I would like to say No, the motive behind this is that because of different controllers including your new system; I mean the latest one. Your new system most probably needs a new installation of Windows. Your threat will be solved if you follow so. Also you have not mentioned that what you want to change from and where. So It is quite difficult for me to provide appropriate answers.Next time try to be appropriate as possible by mentioning the threat.

Before multiple steps I would assure you that make a back-up of the RAID contents of necessary data to separated hard disk or drive or any external media that is available with you. Remember that you don’t need normally a back up of up Windows and programs, but personal files including internet settings following with mail, favorites etc.

I think there is nothing to do with the MSI. After doing experiments by myself I have found that this setback is with all manufacturer and their products. The manufacturers buy chips that ensemble with the next board best. Those chips also use its own protocol and own way to do its RAID. The RAID-land is chaos as there is no standard. This is same for all manufacturers, so you can try another alternative instead of it. Another alternative option is use the OS software raid.

If you stick to AMD-chipset for naming something than believe me there is big chance that the raid can be reused. This same for the Intel boards, don’t try switching from AMD to Intel because it doesn’t work. Even with Marvell, Promise, Adaptec etc. Hope the information I am providing to you is enough for you to get help in your decision. Its up to you what you choose.

I suggest you to strictly avoid two ways. The ways are as follows:

• The in-expensive and fastest way is use the OS software RAID. It is faster then onboard chip in Raid mode.
    • The other selection is to buy an expensive PCIe card and use it.