Thread: What is clock Speed?

What is clock Speed?

I am just wondering that what does the meaning of clock speed. I think that this means the bus speed. Still I am having doubt about that and therefore I am starting this thread so know the answer for this. I will really appreciate if someone can provide me the information about this. I have searched for this on google and found some result from it but then also I just want to clarify the thing. Thank you in advance for reply.

Re: What is clock Speed?

I would like to tell you that the entire computer is having the internal clock that can control the rate by which you computer is executing the instructions as well as synchronizes every dissimilar computer components. Every computer needs the fixed number of clock cycles that will be useful for executing all the instructions. I hope that this will help you to understand that what the clock Speed is and how this is used for. Let’s see if someone can provide more advanced solution.

For calculating the frequency, they are using the terms as megahertz and gigahertz and this is for the reason that the frequency of the many of the clock speed are calculated very high. A megahertz is nothing but the one million cycles / second and the gigahertz is one-billion cycles / second. So if we calculate this then we will get that 800MHz as 800,000,000 cycles per second. If you are having the faster clock speed then it will be able to execute more instructions at the same time.

A bus is just the circuit which can attach one part of motherboard with another part. It the bust is holding more date at one time then you will get the faster instructions to be processed. The speed of bus is measured with megahertz and that refers that how much information can travel across the bus at the same time. Bus speed generally refers to speed of front side bus that normally said as FSB which connects the CPU toward the Northbridge. FSB speeds can vary from 66 MHz to 800 MHz. because the CPU takes the memory controller by northbridge, FSB speed can radically affect the computer's performance.

The clock speed of a CPU is can be considered as frequency which a processor processes instructions otherwise that data is processed. This clock speed is calculated in millions of cycles each second otherwise megahertz (MHz). The clock itself is really a quartz crystal which vibrates at a convinced frequency while electricity is passed from it. Every vibration sends out a pulse otherwise beat, similar to a metronome, to every component which synchronized through it.

Earlier computers were having the system clock. The expansion bus and the CPU ran both at the same speed. It was not long before technology had advanced to the CPU, where they were faster than the expansion bus. This caused a real bottleneck. The CPU can process and send information faster than the expansion bus can transfer. The problem was that each device runs at its own independent speed and still be in tune. What to do?

Circuits and technology on the motherboard can divide the clock signal or multiply as needed for certain components. These circuits are called crossovers "or" frequency multipliers. Now, the system memory your computer can be controlled by a clock of 100 MHz A crossover is used to reduce the speed at 1 / 3 to accommodate the 33 MHz PCI bus, and another to lower divider speed by 12 for the ISA bus 8-MHz CPU can have a frequency multiplier to increase the speed to 100 MHz 500 MHz or 600 MHz for interior operations.