Thread: Asus P5K Deluxe with IDE & RAID

Asus P5K Deluxe with IDE & RAID

I encompass an Asus P5K Deluxe mb through 6 sata drives configured within pairs of RAID 1. Now I desire to obtain a SSD though I do not desire to acquire two of them. I just desire one intended for boot drive. Now, can I encompass just an "IDE" drive? I mean remove one pair of drives which I have and after install just the SSD like my boot? I ask because I can't discover that within the bios how I can configure precise SATA ports, It looks like it all of them otherwise nothing. Please reply.

Re: Asus P5K Deluxe with IDE & RAID

Yes, the SSD will function within RAID mode it will only display as a JBOD/IDE drive, and through the latest Intel RST drivers TRIM will still function within the RAID mode. Ensure to place the SSD for the Port 0/1 intended for the greatest performance. It is the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Drivers; therefore they are intended for the Intel ICH10(R) chipset. Its software intended for many part which controls it, but many of the times the drivers are needed for the SSD to be viewable on install. What type/size of SSD are you searching to get?

Your chipset is having ICH9R. The driver makes use of a number to indicate its version and it just occurs that it is at RST 10. There is no link between the ICH model and the RST version. I forgot to mention that I can’t keep in mind that if it's on all boards / platforms then Its worth a try anyway and through a 80GB non-Indilinx SSD you will be well as long as you maintain a ~25% free space for your SSD as a minimum.

I am not sure if that board supports IDE RAID or not. Best is to use the motherboard manual to try and set up RAID in the BIOS. And I also read that if you press control+J when the computer starts up, you should be sent to the JMicron RAID in the BIOS. Not too sure on that. It only has one IDE port by the way, so trying to RAID two hard drives on the same IDE cable is going to cause quite a performance hit. so you dont think ide raid would be a good idea since it only have one idle port?

If you plan to use RAID, then this is supposed to enable RAID in the BIOS and that is also from the first day setting up the machine. Install the RAID driver via F6 to WinXP, to get the RAID controller. Usually thus is from a program or equivalent MakeFloppy that comes in the Asus motherboard CD. Intel calls this being "RAID Ready". Since the RAID controller is loaded from the first day, you're ready for anything.