Thread: What makes AMD bulldozer so different from other quad core processors?

What makes AMD bulldozer so different from other quad core processors?

I am really getting to hear a lot of good things about the AMD’s bulldozer processors. So I just want to know as if what makes it different from the other quad core processors. Can you all please tell me about it. I want an answer from you all, regarding this. so basically I just want to know how better it is from the other processors such that it is getting such good reviews from the others. So I want some supportive answers from you all. please do suggest me something on the same. I am waiting for the help from you all. Please do reply accordingly.

Re: What makes AMD bulldozer so different from other quad core processors?

The enhanced design that it has got plus it has got some good clock speed to support it and make it different from the others as well. So that’s what the differentiation point is I think and I am sure that it is much cheaper than what Intel people have to offer out here. So that’s what make the amd bulldozer quite different from the others. That’s what I have to say here, so please do look on the suggestions that I have given here. I am sure that will be the reason why it is so much in demand these days.

I have one more suggestion why amd bulldozer is preferred than other quad core processors. If you compare the distance for the signal to travel, then if we compare it with any of the processors, then I must admit that the amd bulldozer has the lowest of the distance i.e. 32 nm compared to the 45nm of the other processors. Less the distance greater will be the speed to travel. That’s what I am saying here, do look at it. plus with the little distance to travel even the power usage is quite low. So that will be the added benefit for all of the users. Still there are several benefits. Of which I remember this one only.

Yes the architecture of the processor is quite interesting and I must admit about it. that’s what I feel here and I am sure you will also look at the same. if we look at the pipelines then there are in total 4 pipelines in it. What this marks is that, it will create a boost is the performance by 4 times, so that’s the additional feature that it has got in it. If the pipelining is not there in any of the processor then it is but obvious that it will create some delay in the speed. Which is highly unacceptable. That is what I feel here and I am sure you did get some information reading this particular post.

See the design is such that it will squeeze more cores in less space which does makes it different from the others. So if you want to upgrade it to the eight cores then upgrading it is not a bad option at all. I feel. So do watch out for the same and I am sure that it will be the perfect suggestion for you. The announced processor from Intel named ivy bridge are claiming that they will be coming with the 22nm distance speed, while the processors are not released yet but still if we compare it with the other processors that are offering today i.e. 42nm. 32nm offered by the bulldozer is a very good option, I think. Available in a very attractive price does make bulldozer different from the others.

Ok I did get a lot of reasons to know why amd bulldozer is a good processor. So thanks a lot for the supportive reasons that you gave here, I was really not aware of it. thanks that you did gace some important suggestions for the same. I appreciate the answers that you have given here.

I attended the AMD launch party for AMD Llano processor in Seattle, USA (llano is a high performance graphics+4 core).

AMD representatives gave details on upcoming Bulldozer, as well. Here are some detailed benefits :

+ Each core in bulldozer are higher performing than the cores that AMD's competitor. Each core has dedicated L1 cache for instructions and data.

+ The bulldozer (zambezi desktop model) is being released in proven 95W AM3+ package so motherboard manufacturers only need to upgrade BIOS to support this new processor

+ Bulldozer supports boost mode where clocks jump above the 3 GHz baseline clock frequency.