Thread: Want to upgrade RAM on my Dell P4.

Want to upgrade RAM on my Dell P4.

Hi I have been using my Dell P4 computer from past one year. And I must say that it’s really fun using Dell P4. As after storing too much of data and applications on my computer, as now I have very less memory left that has resulted in running my computer slow, so I am planning to upgrade the RAM, but I am not aware to what extent I can upgrade my RAM and how much can van computer can support it. So can anyone please help with this?

Re: Want to upgrade RAM on my Dell P4.

Hi even I am looking for a similar answer. As I am thinking to upgrade my Dell P4 that I have purchased one year back, currently I have 1.7 GHz and want it to upgrade to whatever is higher. As even I don’t know to what extent I can upgrade the RAM, and how much it will support! So it would be really nice if someone can help us in knowing about up gradation of RAM on my Dell p4.

Can you please let me know your current CPU and memory details as this could help me in guiding you better, as even I am using Dell p4 computer for myself and six months back I had upgraded my RAM from 1.7 GHz to 2.4ghz and since then I must say that my computer has turned out to be working very fast as compared to earlier.

Hi I would like to thank you for your quick reply and I appreciate it, my current CPU and memory details are as follows:
    CPU-
    Processor Name: Intel Pentium 4 630
    Specification: Intel(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    Core speed: 2793.0 MHz.
    Memory-
    Type: DDR2
    Size: 512 Mbytes
    Channels: Dual
    DRAM frequency: 266.0 MHz.

I think that you should buy a 2x2 of 533 MHz RAM as it would match your current speed. Whereas I am not that much sure about it will fasten your RAM, so kindly check your motherboard model and conform if it supports faster ram or not. I would like to tell you that DDR2 stands for Double Data Rate2, so take what your CPUz reports as to get the speed of the RAM.

Thanks for giving your suggestion. Well I would like to tell you that, I not able to find a 533MHz 2GB easily here as I found some but those has a very high price that doesn’t suit my budget. Whereas I was able to find 667 MHz or 800MHz that are easily available. One more thing that I wanted to know is that, what is the difference between Bus Speed and Rated FSB which is shown on my CPU-Z.