Thread: "ULV: the new normal" said Intel

"ULV: the new normal" said Intel

Intel is creating a fundamental shift within the way that companies consider about as well as approaches the plan for its notebook chips. Up till now, the many of Intel's notebook chips were with about 35 watts of power. Most of the parts of the notebook were are lower, and some superior except 35 watts is the middle point intended for Intel's portable lines. While, the novel center point will be within the 10 to 15 watt assortment. I just need to share this with all the other users. I hope someone will explain this in much better way.

Re: "ULV: the new normal" said Intel

To make radical shift more clear, just imagine the reality that the recently announced Core i5 as well as i7 ULV (ultra-low voltage) chips contain a TDP of 17W. Therefore, Otellini is saying through this declaration is that, in place of being an unusual, costly, and late-coming niche within Intel's mobile lineup, ULV processors are innovative standard. Under this fresh management, Intel's SoCs will balance as of about 500 mill watts to 10 watts, and notebook chips will level up from there.

I think these will replace the netbook category. That is, if manufacturers are able to lower the price below $ 500. Then I sold. We are in an energy crisis anyway. Electricity will be the new gasoline unless we begin to give up our coal-based solutions more solar and wind power. I find it interesting that Intel is considering means more battery processing power, but also means increased competition due to the threshold of processing power that allegedly struck with the change of key management.

This makes perfect sense. 98% of laptop users, probably never need the "full" power of their processors, so it does not matter if the CPU is slightly less potent. However, a significantly higher percentage of laptop users are using their laptops in classrooms, on airplanes, in meetings, etc, and would benefit from lower power consumption, less heat generation, and therefore, batteries lighter and cooling systems.

I believe it will still make the 35W processors, just not be as common. Also, I think the reason we're doing this is because its new tri-gate transistors work better at low voltage so it can bring down the TDP and even improve performance in relation to Sandy Bridge. What makes me curious is that they say they want to do that and iGPU increase performance by a factor of 7 (presumably Haswell). It does not seem possible unless you have some major architectural trick up its sleeve.

So this is the end of the portable high-end? I'm not convinced ... I have seen and experienced many "crisis" of high-end systems, but still a very profitable business and will continue to endure until a revolutionary change. I love to see more fanless systems on the market, even if it meant sacrificing some performance, and if these 10 watt ULV processors could do that, then I think it's great.