Thread: Ubuntu is not showing all memory in MSI G31M3 V2

Ubuntu is not showing all memory in MSI G31M3 V2

I have recently installed 64 bit version of Ubuntu 10.4 in my computer in which I have MSI G31M3 V2 mother board. I have 4GB RAM in my computer and after installing this operating system it is not showing the full memory in my system. It is only showing me only 3.2 GB memory. I don’t know where other memory gone. Please tell me why I cannot use full memory in my computer. Is there any trick to fix this problem then please let me know?

Re: Ubuntu is not showing all memory in MSI G31M3 V2

Did you try to pull out RAM from your computer and connecting it back? If you have not tried it yet then first try it. if you are using 2 X 2GB RAM stick then first try to insert it by swapping the memory slots and then check whether you are getting the same problem or not. if you get the same problem then I think you there might be something wrong with your RAM and if your problem get solved then it is good. If you need any more help then let me know.

The main problem is with the motherboard and BIOS. You are not able to utilize 800MB of your memory because it is not able to remap the memory from 3.2GB to 4GB. As far as I know most of the mother board can remap the memory and I have searched on the internet about this motherboard but this motherboard is not able to remap the memory and that is why problem is occurring. I hope this information will be helpful to you.

This might be problem with your UBUNTU also and I think you should try to fix this problem by reinstalling UBUNTU and after that check whether it showing you the 4GB memory or not. If you still get the same problem after reinstalling the UBUNTU then check for the same problem with other Operating system like windows Vista or windows 7. If you can see the 4GB memory in that operating system then I think problem is not with mother board but it is with UBUNTU.

I have gone thought your above post and after that I have tried to fix this problem by swapping the both memory with each other slots but after doing that when I restart the computer it shows only 3.2 GB RAM. I have also tried to check for this problem by installing the other operating system but same issue occurred with other operating system also. Now I don’t know what is wrong with my RAM. if anyone can help me to fix this then I will be thankful to him.

If you are utilizing on board video support only in your computer then I think some part of your memory will be used by your on board video. If you want to release that memory from on board video then I think you have to Use a PCI-e video card in your computer and after that you will be able to utilize whole memory in your computer. You can check for that first by using Use any PCI-e video card from your friend and after confirming that purchase one for you.

After referring your above post about buying any PCI-e video card for my computer, after reading that I have tried one any PCI-e video card in my computer and after that I have noticed that my computer was showing me full memory and after that I have bought new any PCI-e video card for my computer and now i8 can utilize full memory in my system. Thank you for giving me all the suggestion and information. Now all the things are working perfectly.