Thread: BIOS in AHCI doesn’t detect HDD using MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard

BIOS in AHCI doesn’t detect HDD using MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard

I am using MSI 890FXA GD70 motherboard along with windows 7 operating system. I am having some problem with my computer that whenever I select RAID mode to ACHI or SATA and I save the settings then my hard disk are not detected. So I have to revert back to IDE and then hard disk is detected. Also in device manager there is no ACHI or SATA controller. So please help me out in detecting the exact cause for it.

Re: BIOS in AHCI doesn’t detect HDD using MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard

I have gone through several forums and I found that this is a common problem faced by several users. The reason for this problem is that if you are having a BIOS version of 1.9 then definitely this problem would arise as there are lots of complaints with this version. So in order to get it worked you need to switch back to older version 1.8. Thus after downgrading your BIOS again, I guess your problem would be solved and your hard drives would be detected.

Well I don’t think that there is any problem with the ACHI mode in BIOS. When you set RAID to ACHI and save the settings, then in BIOS you won’t be able to see the drives connected to SATA ports. But you would be able to see it after this POST screen. Here all your drives would be detected as well as listed. The same thing happened with me, but I found it detected on another screen, so I guess same would be in your case.

As you are using windows 7 operating system, so when you want to switch between these modes or to switch to ACHI mode, first you need to have drivers on your operating system. So go to Microsoft site and download the needed driver and then install that file on your computer. After this just change the settings from IDE to ACHI, then save the settings and as your computer reboots you would get your hard drives detected in the mode you want.

You can try enabling ACHI in registry, so go to registry editor and then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahcit, then you need to modify the start to value zero and apply these settings and now just check whether you are able to get your hard drives in ACHI mode.