Thread: Getting errors using RAM on MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard

Getting errors using RAM on MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard

I recently got a computer having MSI 890FXA GD70 motherboard and couple of G.SKILL Rip jaws F3-12800CL9D 4GB RAM sticks. My motherboard is having four slots. So when I plug the RAM on motherboard then and run the memtest86 utility then it gives me errors. So please let me know why this happening is on my computer and please let me know soon as just few days are left with my motherboard warranty. Thanks in advance.

Re: Getting errors using RAM on MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard

When you are using memtest86 utility in order to check for your memory and you get error in that memory test then there is something wrong with the RAM you are using. As you are having two RAM sticks so I advise you to run the memtest for each RAM stick and then check whether the memtest is showing you the same errors for both of these sticks. If you get same errors for both these RAM sticks then your RAM stick is faulty.

You would know whether which RAM is faulty by performing the above thing. But to be clearer about those errors, I suggest you to check for these errors by placing RAM sticks on other slots also. There might be a case where you get different number of errors in different slots. In your case you are having four slots so run memtest for RAM using the above mentioned technique because I want to the exact cause behind this, so let me know about those errors after performing this.

Well thanks for giving some solutions to me. When I performed a single RAM test then I was not getting any errors. Then when I installed both these sticks then I got seven errors using memtest86, then according to one mentioned here to swap the slots so I put the RAM sticks on other slots and there I got no errors using memtest. So let me know why I am getting errors in slot 1 and 2, and no errors on slot 3 and 4. Let me know about this problem soon.

I guess you are facing this problem because of some improper settings. So according to me you need to make some settings regarding the memory in BIOS and then after you need to test this thing again using memtest86 utility. As your memory is DDR3 and for this you need to set the clock speed of this to 1333. So look for the memory clock speed in BIOS and then set it to 1333 manually. Also you need to increase the voltage of memory to 1.6 V. I hope this would eliminate all the errors, so just check it out.

Yes I agree to do these settings on BIOS and then look for the errors by doing a retest using memtest86. If this doesn’t helps then you many load factory settings of your BIOS. Suppose you had done some overclocking on your computer then resetting the BIOS settings would probably remove all the applied settings and would give you default settings. So select load defaults in BIOS and then apply and save these settings. This would probably help you to revert any modified settings on your computer.