Thread: Getting BSOD using MSI NF980-G65 and AMD Phenom II 1090T processor

Getting BSOD using MSI NF980-G65 and AMD Phenom II 1090T processor

I recently upgraded to MSI NF980 G65 motherboard from 870A Fuzion because it has got more features on it. I am having several problems with it. The first is I am getting BSOD when I try to install windows; there the screen frozen and I have to restart the system. I also want to upgrade my BIOS, so want to know that can I update it from another system. Also cannot is update the BIOS if operating system is not installed. So clear all my doubts and help me in solving these computer problems.

Re: Getting BSOD using MSI NF980-G65 and AMD Phenom II 1090T processor

I guess the major reason behind this BSOD that you are getting is due to the RAM chip that you are having on your system. If you are having couple of RAM sticks then I would recommend you to try to turn your computer ON using a single RAM stick. Most of the times I have observed that if you use a higher size RAM memory module then you should have it within one stick. You should not use part of the RAM chips in order to make a higher RAM. If you want to have 8 GB of RAM then you should go for single chip rather than two sticks of 4GB.

What I think is that the windows OS is not getting installed on your computer may be because of the disc that you are using. So you need to verify that disc is proper with no scratches. You can confirm that disc is working by trying to install on another computer. Many a times if disc is not proper then computer is not able to read the needed files from it, thus it ends up giving you a blue screen on during setup with certain error codes on it.

In order to flash the BIOS of your motherboard you need to flash it from your computer. The thing you said to flash it from another computer is not possible. You would found certain tools from MSI website, from which you need flash tool in order to flash the BIOS. For installing operating system on your computer, if a particular OS is not getting installed then you must try to install other operating system, which might be other version of windows or may be Ubuntu.

You are getting the BSOD because some of the hardware components are incompatible with your system. I guess your processor which is of six cores might not be supported with your BIOS. So for that you would have to update your BIOS so that it can recognize all the hardware attached to your computer and probably allow you to install the operating system on your computer by eliminating the blue screen error while the setup is in progress.

You can still update your BIOS even if the operating system is not present. So in order to update BIOS, just have the firmware to which you want to upgrade and then transfer it to USB stick. Then plug it into USB port and then go to BIOS and then set the boot priority to USB drive and set the priority to your drive. Once done you would be presented with the BIOS update screen, thus follow the instructions and you would successfully be able to do the same.