Thread: System not able to POST using MSI 870 G45 motherboard

System not able to POST using MSI 870 G45 motherboard

I am having computer with following configuration: MSI 870 G45 motherboard, AMD Athlon II X3 450 processor, 6 GB strontium DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD 5450 graphic card, and WD hard disk of 500GB. When I started my computer today then I found that my system is not able to POST. I am receiving the power but why my computer is not getting started so please provide me with some solutions so that I use my computer back normally.

Re: System not able to POST using MSI 870 G45 motherboard

I have heard that the 6 GB memory stick is compatible only with Intel system. so yours is MSI motherboard so it is not able to start your computer using that memory stick. So just check that your RAM stick is working properly. If you are having a RAM chip of 2 GB each and thus each in all making the 6 GB of memory then you should try running your system using single RAM chip. Probably this would help you in knowing which stick is not working and thus simply remove it.

There are actually many reasons if the system is not able to POST. Here as you are getting the power but you need to check that motherboard is getting the required power. I have found that when SMPS is connected to the board then it distributes the output voltages to 3.3V, 5V or 12V. So you could measure this voltage using multimeter in order to verify the required voltages. If you are getting varied or fluctuated voltages then you need to consult an engineer to look for the same.

You should definitely look for your power supply unit. If it is not functioning properly then you need to replace the same and have a new one. I would suggest you to have a high watt power supply unit as it have more capabilities to supply the most accurate and required power by several users. Then the other thing you could try is that you should clear the CMOS settings, by interchanging the jumper pin or by removing the CMOS battery and then try to boot the computer.

I think that the problem behind this is probably with the PSU so better is to replace your power unit and I guess it would help you to pass the POST test and also the successful boot. The other thing you may try out is to upgrade your BIOS firmware, for this you need to download the firmware from your motherboard support site and then after load it into bootable disk or USB drive. After this use BIOS update utility in order to get the updated firmware and also to solve this problem.

The best way you can find the problem is by listening to the beep sound from your computer. In order to hear this sound the buzzer or system speaker should be connected on your motherboard. So have a look on it and if not connected then hook it on the motherboard. Then after start your computer and you would get sound just make a note of that sound and then search over internet for your BIOS beep codes. As this sound varies from different BIOS vendors or leave a reply here including BIOS Company as well as beep codes.