Thread: Power needed to handle ECC RAM on a K9ND Speedster

Power needed to handle ECC RAM on a K9ND Speedster

I recently purchased a PC for internet surfing, gaming, downloading videos and other things. But I had a query regarding the motherboard. I wanted to know the correct power desired to properly handle 16 GB of ECC RAM on a K9ND Speedster. Now everything is working fine in my system but when I pack all the RAM slots for 16 GB at that my PC either reboots or freezes suddenly. Is anyone aware about the issue? If yes then please help me out.

Re: Power needed to handle ECC RAM on a K9ND Speedster

There isn’t any fixed reason for such issues. I am aware about such issues but it varies among different systems. In the past I have solved the problems related to this issue. I would like to know did you try to keep your memory speed low. I would like to know about the specs of the power supplies? Did you try a 900W PSU to fix the issue? Give me this information as fast as you can so that I can give you the exact solution to solve the issue.

I checked for all the information that you needed and I got all that you needed. The power supply specifications are as follows:
    AC input = 100-240Vac 47-63Hz 8/4A
    DC V = +3.3V - - +5V - - +12V1 - - +12V2 - - 12V3 - - -(12V) - - +5Vsb
    maxA = 30A - - - 28A - - 18.0A - - 18.0A - - 16.0A - - 0.8A - - 3.0A

I also tried to keep low the memory speed but the error that I received was the same as it was initially. I verified the memory and CPU’s but they were working fine. Temperatures were approximately 34 C - 42C on CPUs. Whenever I fill the memory slots only at that time the issues occurred. Do you some solution to overcome the issue? If yes then please help me.

The memory controllers are not on the motherboard but they are with CPU. It is quite normal that when the CPU needs to control more memory blocks then it require lowering the memory speed. The maximum memory speed is only 2 banks per channel which is equal to one double sided bar channel, set to arrive over and that should slow down, if not always detected correctly. 533 look to be quite normal to me with the number of banks it uses to 8 GB. Try out 16 GB with a speed even lower if you can. This is the only solution that I know which can help you out.

Which BIOS are you having? Whether it is 2.00 or 2.10? What happens if you try to go less than 533 memory speed? What is the result if you apply the same settings? While you are having the 8mb BIOS chip then you should possess all the settings available in memory. Can you inform me the exact model of memory modules that you are having. If memory allows you to do that then you can also experiment to boost the voltage of 0.1v in steps and check whether it increases stability or not. I think MSI doesn’t support your memory.

Finally I come to a decision to plunge the memory speed from BIOS to 400. Computer was not displaying any issues now. It used to get freezed only after running benchmark or idle. Falling speed does not assist either, but now looks much as it is more a matter connected to the temperature, since the machine once it freezes after maybe a couple of hours, frequently freezes up utmost of maybe five minutes. After checking the result with 8 GB and 16 GB burn, it seems that heat is the issue. I added a fan somewhere to push the air in the area and with the new NB fan I hope that the problem is fixed

I am extremely thankful to you for replying back to my queries. I have performed the steps that you specified by you in the previous post. All those steps helped me a lot to overcome the issue that I was facing. I am also grateful for all your opinions that you shared with me. Finally my issue is solved and will take precautions so that I won’t face such issues again in future. At last my PC is working fine without any problems in it.