Thread: Vostro 460 - USB_4 header on motherboard has 11 pins

Vostro 460 - USB_4 header on motherboard has 11 pins

I have just brought a new dell vostro 460 which is the best desktop Personnel computer available in that range. It purchased an Intel i5 processor and I also got a Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit edition with it. The most recommended feature of this is that it has a DUAL Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 133MHz and has a chipset from Intel family and a NVIDIA geforce GT420.I just love the configuration. But , I have no idea how the Motherboard has only 11 pins which is named as USB_4 . where are other have only 9 pins .

Re: Vostro 460 - USB_4 header on motherboard has 11 pins

Hi mate, you have made a great choice by choosing Vostro because it is the best in that price range that you have purchased. But I did not get you clearly did you meant that you had a problem using you Dell vostro or it is just that you very curious about why there are 11 pin in there where as only 9 should be placed there . IS that so? Please correct me if I am wrong and post a more simplified question so that other user can answer your question.

My question is very simple. Recently I opened up my cabinet for checking out if I can increase my storage capacity by adding one more drive to. But, when I had a look on my dell vostro‘s motherboard, I was shocked to see that there were 11 pins instead of 9 pins. Now I am just curious about it that for what reason is the 2 pins are there. If it has some useful components that can be attached to it so that I make the fullest use of it.

Hi mate, I had the same issue, when I brought it for the first time. It is very disappointing that the Dell does not have any documentation for that schematic Vostro 460 motherboard. Nor it had enough documentation online so that I could figure out what the extra pins are for .So I tried asking my friend who has a Dell desktop pc. But he told me that all the Dell Headers have a standard 9 pins on it where as only mine has an 11pin.

I suggest you to ask Dell support center for the accurate reply as they are the only who built your system so they could answer your question more accurately and the SATA-4 with 11 pins that your mentioned above. Would not be a SATA cable but instead be a USB header .And I do agree with you that that the online documentation for this system is pretty poor. I hope this help you out. You can also Google this on internet.

I am guessing your question like why does the front panel USB connector has 11 pins while all other standard USB connectors have 9 pins only? The answer to this question is very simple; USB 4 is a special internal USB port that is derived from the standard internal drive (i.e. USB port). It has additional 2 pins attached to it to provide it with 3.3v for the USB Bluetooth module. I hope this helps you out as this is the most accurate answer you can get.

Hey guys , I never that this forums would be so active , I never thought that I would get such a quick reply for you guys , I mean you guys are so fast. Well my problem got solved. As the above user said that the extra two there are for providing power to Bluetooth. I found the replies posted by everyone so useful that I through appreciate your response. Thanks again. And your replies really helped me out.