Thread: Need to upgrade Radeon HD5770 video card in Compaq Presario SR1720NX

Need to upgrade Radeon HD5770 video card in Compaq Presario SR1720NX

I've been trying to improve a Compaq Presario and model is SR1720NX and AMD Sempron 3400 with a new video card. I improved the power supply to a GX650 watt Cooler Master PS. This power supply is on the list of certified on the ATI website. I installed the PS and was assured that he worked with the base configuration and works well. As soon as I can install the video card and try on, all I get is the CPU fan constantly running at high speed without video screen? The processor fan normally runs at high speed for several seconds to boot and kicked as the system starts. Just curious if anyone can tell me if this card is actually compatible with this system.
    I tried disabling the aboard Radeon Express 200 video in the bios by selecting PCI-E but did not seem to have any difference. Do I have to do more to get this card work? I have the power connector attached to the card.

Re: Need to upgrade Radeon HD5770 video card in Compaq Presario SR1720NX

The card you have is a Sapphire Radeon and model is HD 5770 with HD5770 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E Dual DVI-I/HDMI/DP. The video card is recommended 450W PS so I guess it's not a question of power ever since. Install the 650W one and is certified for the video card you have. I'm not sure if you simply plug the power connector 4 of the plate. The original power was only 20-pin connector not the style of 20 +4. I have not tried connecting the extra four inches well, you can try to connect and it should work.

Did you also connect the 4-pin ATX12V1, next to the CPU socket? This addition to the 24-pin + 6 pin VGA card. Do you have the latest BIOS installed on the motherboard? Is there any other item in the BIOS that relates to the use on board off VGA PCI-e, for example, shared memory, etc? Have you tried a CMOS and start again? Try all this and see I hope this will surely work for you.

Well, I think the video size 64 MB of memory is blocked by CV BIOS. I do not think it's worth the effort to switch to HP BIOS; the Windows license shall be reactivated. And there is no guarantee that will help your case. If no POST screen when the card is, I do not think any installation disk will help. I would suggest that you to replace the card to the other, a slightly larger version. I hope this might work for you.

No 5770 has a pci-e v2.1 specs? And that the motherboard has one of the first PCI-e v1. Who knows, maybe Compaq / ASUS managed to put the components that are not of the highest quality and he cannot drive non-standard GPU. While in theory v2 and v2.1 should be compatible with v1. If you try6 with another graphics card, 4850 would be acceptable. Just try this out.

I guess the power supply is new so it should be fine. The 5770 is new so it should be fine. But perhaps need to somehow confirm that the motherboard PCI-e is still functional. Simply make use of someone's VGA card. Also check closely for dirt or other in the slot and give it a good cleaning. Also try BIOS settings Plug and Play OS and ECSD No. Reset = Enabled. Well I hope this solves your problem.