Thread: Is Linux OS good for magny-cores?

Is Linux OS good for magny-cores?

Hi friends actually I have an issue regarding which operating system I choose. I just need to know that is there any official suggestion from AMD for selecting Linux which should be compatible with the magny core processor which are basically 8 cores installed in my CPU. I don’t have any idea that which one is basically optimized for opteron. I was also thinking of choosing centos, redhat enterprise edition or debian AMD64. So need suggestions for this.

Re: Is Linux OS good for magny-cores?

Any Linux distribution of recent remote works well for Magny-Cores. Most Linux distributions are simply compiled for generic 64-bit CPU (not "-march" that is set, no more than SSE SSE2 instructions) so that run on anything from a new 130 nm single-core Opteron to Magny-Cours and the whole thing in between. Linux performs very well in 64-bit AMD CPU, so I really would not be concerned about it.

If you're still in fact worried with optimization, you can recompile the kernel for your particular CPU to download, install and compile the kernel sources. You have to adjust the CPU and seller "Opteron/K8/Hammer" in the Linux kernel configuration and add CFLAGS =-O2-pipe-March-amdfam10 when running the brand instructions. To optimize even more, running Gentoo Linux and compile everything from scratch with the CFLAGS in your profile to make everything specially optimized for the CPU. You will not see a huge increase in it in most applications, but you can if you really want.

I would have chosen as Gentoo compiles all the order sets of code and optimizations amd64/128bit the world’s more robust operating system more stable and faster. With 8 and 12 core system interface 128-bit compilation is so fast installation time is cut in bulk is also a good burn in your new system to secure the components. CUDA source without Gentoo work with a little tweaking as with all source code is awesome but good.

Oracle has an absolute line of free operating systems to "scale" well and also suggest their own Linux compiles to adjust the use of Enterprise, along with much other free software. You only need to pay for support and technical support is not required to obtain a free operating system and other programs as well. I also recommend Debian Linux. If any of the above do not fit than that is a mistake, as long as the hardware is capable and who can file a report and be sure to get an answer without waiting too long.

Red Hat is pretty a great deal up there with being capable to support AMD's latest technology. You get the operating system for free but must pay for the support for a year if you want any updates and anything decent! What you end up going to be something you have to decide for yourself. Look at the distro you want and then go with a guess that if admitted. Well you need to try and then you will understand it.

Gentoo is a great operating system, but really, its main selling point is configuration, not the speed or reliability. Gentoo is the operating system to go to if you need something done so. I use Gentoo for my HTPC, as it is by far the easiest way to obtain a minimum MythTV interface with only the features you want and nothing else.
    Normally there is not much of an increase going from the binary compiled for any CPU x86_64 generic to specific CPU. A few specific programs could benefit from being compiled with a GCC compiler does not, but I want to do that outside of the package manager for the agency does not compile any other programs with the GCC compiler and not break your system. I speak from experience on this issue with the use of the ICC to try to compile some programs in Portage for increased speed. Gentoo is a mobile version and can break things from time to time as you upgrade the libraries and others. You can use revdep-rebuild and emerge-e system / world to rebuild the programs if ABI breakage, but can be a real pain. I throw my lot in Debian stable Linux distribution is more robust, as it undergoes extensive testing and has a very well-proven reliability.