Thread: Is Gigabyte GA-M55S-S3 compatible with AM3 processors?

Is Gigabyte GA-M55S-S3 compatible with AM3 processors?

I have computer which I think is outdated from current going technology. So I am planning to have Gigabyte motherboard model no GA-M55S-S3. My brother has just got gigabyte motherboard and after buying it he find that his AM3 processors is not supported by his newly purchased motherboard. So I thought that as I am going to buy above mentioned motherboard so I could give him my new one if it supports the AM3 processor and in replace it could take his. So tell me the same soon.

Re: Is Gigabyte GA-M55S-S3 compatible with AM3 processors?

As you needed the information about the compatibility of AM3 processors for the motherboard model no. that you are going to purchase I searched for the information and found that the motherboard that you will purchase will support some of the SM3 processors. I meant that as there are several different versions of same processor available so you need to figure out the exact processor number and then match it with the motherboard model no.

I found out that gigabyte motherboard that you mentioned is compatible with the AM3 processor. It is very true that there are only some AM3 processors which are compatible with your motherboard model. But the other thing is that you also need to update your BIOs in order to work with the AM3 processor. So just check it out in the gigabyte website and look for the motherboard current BIOS version and also the available BIOS update on the website and accordingly you need to perform the update.

You haven’t purchased the motherboard yet so I would advise you to check for the BIOS version whenever you buy the motherboard. You should ask the hardware retailer for any information that you need about your motherboard. They would tell you the exact version details as well as ask them whether this particular model is compatible with the AM3 processor that you have. Thus they would provide you the needful information.

You will find that the current motherboard revised version available is 2.0 for your motherboard model no. you can confirm the same by going to gigabyte website and then select your specific model and then go to BIOS and check for the available BIOS version. I found that it is FJI so you need to update the BIOS firmware to this version in order to support processor. There may be a case where the motherboard the retailer is having is bit old so perform the update as required