Thread: Need help using RAID XHD mode and controller

Need help using RAID XHD mode and controller

I am using gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 motherboard and I am having some kind of problem with RAID controller. When I try to boot with RAID controller and set the mode to RAID XHD then I am not able to boot with it and when I set it to that mode then RAID controller doesn’t boot and says Verifying pool data and thus the boot sequences pauses there. So please tell me what exactly the problem is with RAID controller with RAID XHD mode so that I can fix the same.

Re: Need help using RAID XHD mode and controller

I looked at the problem which you discussed here and the same thing happened with me before when I was using Rocket RAID controller. I am also not sure about the solution to it but I guess it is due to incompatibility. I think the firmware of your IAID controller is incompatible with your motherboard. There may be a chance where your RAID controller not compatible with your BIOS. So just check out the firmware version that you are using and verify it with your board

I guess the incompatibility issues could be the problem that you are facing but if it doesn’t resolve the problem than you should try to clear your CMOS. So remove your power cable and then open the case of your cabinet. Then you will find a CMOS battery placed on the board, it is just like a normal cell battery. So once you find it remove that battery and keep it aside for few minutes and then boot your computer again by inserting the CMOS battery again.

In order to boot with your controller by setting RAID XHD on MB you need to make BIOS settings. So enter the BIOS setup during startup by pressing DEL key or F2 key and then select load optimized defaults then save all your settings and try to boot again. If not then you will have to disable the controller boot option and in your case you have to go to BIOS and then disable Adaptec RAID boot option of your card. I hope this would work in your case.

I have found several things related to the Adaptec card and you need to check for the following settings in order to make it work. You need to set the RAID disk on the startup and it should be set a first priority of booting. See that BIOS startup automatically takes the boot device so if suppose you want to select it manually in order to select the boot device you may press F12 key on the BIOS startup and then you would be able to select your RAID disk.

I have gone through several articles in order to find the cause that why you are not able to boot with your controller and I read one of it saying that BIOS would allow your controller to act as bootable device if you have enabled the runtime BIOS. If you want to allow another controller to boot then you will need to disable your BIOS so that it would not allow the built controller to act as a bootable device and hence you could run your Adaptec one.

If you try to use the onboard controller as well as the Adaptec controller then they both will try to boot and then the size available with the ROM would be less. So use only one of it in order to boot with it. If you are not able to figure out the same then you may contact the Adaptec controller support or else gigabyte support center and ask them about your query as in this case they would help you and would definitely provide you with some of the solution.