Thread: Need help in connecting front panel pins of GA-8I915PMD motherboard

Need help in connecting front panel pins of GA-8I915PMD motherboard

I have recently got a computer from my friend. He gave me the whole parts needed for the computer and told me to assemble the same at my home. I did everything but I am confused in attaching front panel connectors. I am using Gigabyte GA-8I915PMD motherboard and I could have tried connecting it but it may cause a problem if I do it without any guidance. So please tell me how I could connect these pins in order to start the computer.

Re: Need help in connecting front panel pins of GA-8I915PMD motherboard

You done a right thing by not connecting front panel connectors without any guidance as if you would have did that then there might have caused some severe problem to your motherboard or else permanent non functioning of your motherboard. See if you want to connect the front panel jack of your motherboard than you can refer to the manual in which you will find the instructions on connecting the same. You could ask your friend to give you the manual of the motherboard.

Usually motherboard has instructions written on it and same is with front panel of your motherboard it also would have something written over it so try to read those instructions and connect the pins accordingly. If you have misplaced the manual then you could get the manual of your motherboard model by searching over Google. I guess gigabyte website would also be having all the manuals of the motherboard so search on these sites and read it and perform the same.

When you would look at you motherboard then you will find that front panel is of 9 pins. I would help you in providing information about the pins that your front panel is having. First of all just place your board in such a way that processor part is upwards and thus front panel would be at the bottom. The front panel has a pins of hard disk led. Then reset switch, then power switch and power led. These all pins would be utilized and the last pin that is 9th pin is called as NC, which you have nothing to do with it.

When you have placed motherboard as mentioned above then top two horizontal pins are for power led, then ahead on the same line next two pins are for power switch. So the first line of your front panel is using all power related functions. Then coming on the second line i.e. bottom line then first two horizontal pins are for hard disk led and then next two pins are for reset switch. Hence now you have enough information about your front panel, so just match your wires and connect it to front panel jack and start your computer.

If you are not able to recognize the pins of your motherboard then the best option is to take guidance from the hardware engineer as he could easily recognize these connections but he would charge you for that. You may also contact gigabyte in order to give you help regarding this as these experts know much about their parts. I am suggesting you this because as you are bit worried about connecting the hardware so this would be a suitable option for you.