Thread: Intel Core i7 980X is throttling down after booting

Intel Core i7 980X is throttling down after booting

I have PC at home with an excellent configuration. The processor in my PC is Intel Core i7 980X. The speed that I am getting from this processor is outstanding. But there is some issue with my 980X CPU after booting. After booting the PC my CPU clocks reduces immediately from its default clock to between 1.6 GHz and the default clock is continuously changing. The clock is not remaining stabled. Why is this happening? This is my first new brand PC. Is anyone aware about such issues? If yes then please do the needful for me.

Re: Intel Core i7 980X is throttling down after booting

You issue is a bit complicated for me because I don’t have in-depth knowledge in terms of hardware. But I will definitely try to help you out as much as I can. There can be several reasons for this issue. It can be due to wrong application of TIM or a cooler problem. If this is the case then I don’t think I can suggest you anything related to the issue. The reasons is that I am totally unaware about the solutions to solve this issues. May be someone else can solve this issue for you.

I read your post and came to know about your issue. This issue is not complicated. Many people have encountered the same issue at the start but later on no such issues occurred. This issue is normally related to CPU. If your CPU isn’t performing any operations then it will automatically throttle down to save power and then throttle back to its full speed when needed. This action can be disabled in BIOS but it is a normal behavior. You don’t have to be tensed for such issues. It might be your computer hence you are not used to it.

The issue that you have posted is quite normal with many new users. Whenever I use my pc I have also faced such issues. There is nothing strange with it. It saves the power when CPU is not being used. It keeps the temps low in idle as well. I think if you change your power scheme in windows to performance then instead of getting balanced it will force CPU to perform at max. Otherwise you have to make sure in your bios that it is disabled. You can enable it whenever you want if you think it can harm your PC.

I am very grateful to you for giving your suggestions to solve such issues. But I am facing one more problem in my PC. I forgot to tell you about this. While starting a high graphic game in my PC it gets warming up and sometimes it gets hanged. I am not able to start high graphic games despite having a graphic card of MSI GTX 580 lightning and 6 Gig of corsair dominator Gt 2000MHz and the settings of ram on XMP are default. If you know how to overcome such issues then please help me out.

The issue that you have currently posted is entirely another problem. It is not related to the CPU throttling issue. I am not aware about such issues. I don’t have much knowledge about this issue. So I won’t be able to give you any suggestions for this issue. Such issues are normally complicated to be solved. Many people have faced such problems but they have got it solved. I don’t know how they did that. If there is any other problem that you facing then maybe I can help you out in those issues.