Thread: Upgrading RAM in Toshiba Satellite A100 laptop

Upgrading RAM in Toshiba Satellite A100 laptop

I recently purchased Toshiba Satellite A100 which is running Windows XP. It was provided with two 256MB RAM but the specification clearly mentions that maximum 2GB ram can be supported by the laptop. So I purchased 1GB RAM and installed it in my laptop. Now the 1GB ram is getting detected but original 256MB say is not showing. Do I need to set up anything or do something to make it visible again? Please help me solve this issue. Your suggestion is always appreciated. Thank you in advance.

re: Upgrading RAM in Toshiba Satellite A100 laptop

You are saying that 1GB RAM is getting detected but the other 256MB RAM is not getting detected. It might be possible that while installing the RAM in the socket you must have been little harsh toward the Ram or the socket, and must have ended up defecting either the 256MB RAM or the clot in which you have inserted the 256MB RAM. So it is better if you make sure all the RAMs are working fine along with all the slots. You can check this out by reinserting the original RAMs in the slot and checking if they are working fine or not.

Thank you, dude for your quick reply. That was so kind and generous of you to show such a concern to someone else problems. I tried to do what you asked me to. When I am inserting both the original 256MB RAM in the slot, they both are getting detected by my system. But when I connect the 1GB RAM along with another 256GB RAM, then only the other 256GB RAM is not getting detected by my system. So now what must be the reason as we know that all the slots and the RAMs are working perfectly fine? Also the new 1GB RAM is Kingston KVR533D2S4/1G

It is utter clear from what you said that there is some kind of compatibility issue between the new 1GB Kingston RAM and the original 256MB RAMs that was provided with the laptop. You should remember that the Toshiba machines works well with the hardware and software that are either provided by themselves or are very close to their specification. And the Kingston ValueRAM (KVR line) series varies from place to place. So it is very difficult to make out which RAM would perfectly work with the other one. But I would recommend to use the Kingston Memory (KTT line) as it would work properly.

Due to the compatibility issue it is clear that the 256MB RAMs won’t work with the 1GB Kingston RAM which you have recently purchased for your laptop. So I would suggest you to purchase another 1GB RAM of same manufacturer i.e. Kingston and the same series or model as of your earlier Kingston 1GB RAM. I am not sure about it, whether both the RAMs would work well with each other, but as both are of the same company, there are high chances that they will work well with each other.

Re: Upgrading RAM in Toshiba Satellite A100 laptop

It is preferable that you purchase the RAM or any other hardware peripheral or drivers for your Toshiba laptop from the official site of Toshiba only. It that way you will always end up purchasing the RAM which will be recommended by and approved by the Toshiba itself.
    Kingston 1GB PC2-4200 533MHz DDR2 Notebook Memory Module will cost you around $22.99. The Part Number is: KTT533D2/1G
    Kingston 2GB PC2-4200 533MHz DDR2 Notebook Memory Module will cost you around $37.99. The Part Number is: KTT533D2/2G