Thread: Z68 motherboard Vs P67 motherboards

Z68 motherboard Vs P67 motherboards

Hello friends, I am thinking to build a computer. I have two options for the motherboard. One i8s Z68 and other is P67. I am planning to make a high end Sandy Bridge build with all new hardware components. So I am confused and not able to decide which motherboard should I prefer. Shall i build the system in P67 board or wait for the Z68 board. Please suggest me what should I do.

Re: Z68 motherboard Vs P67 motherboards

Good to hear that you are3 building your own PC. If you are thinking of Z68 motherboard then i cant tell you much about it. nobody knows how much better will it perform when overclocking Sandy Bridge if compared with P67 motherboard. The only advantage that i know is that Z68 can overclock processor and can simultaneously use the integrated graphics which is very much helpful while troubleshooting. But when you run discrete graphics its troubleshooting ability decreases. So it’s all upto you, whether you are going to use Z68 motherboard or P67 motherboard.

Since Intel has not publishes or advertised the advantages of Z68, it is very difficult to judge between Z68 and P67 motherboard. Everything that used to be present on the Intel chipset, is now fabricated on the processor itself. Memory controllers, PCI-E lanes used to be on the chipset but now all are on the processor. The things that are left for the chipset is to manage hardware peripherals like USB and other PCI-E slots that have no direct connection with processor. If you desire to go with Z68 then you have to wait.

Z68 has some major advantage over the P68 motherboard. Z68 has enabled graphics core including QuickSync and SSD caching function. SSd cache will work only when there space up to 64 GB. If you use larger SSD and use the left over space for something else, then SSD will remain unknown. So i would buy SSD with larger space, set everything on it and not make use of caching function. As most of the 64GB SSD have lower performance than the SSD with larger space. Z68 board differ from P67 as the rear I/O panel has additional video outputs which includes HMDI and DVI.