Thread: Does Windows 7 system memory shrinks as Video card memory gain?

Does Windows 7 system memory shrinks as Video card memory gain?

Hello guys, I am having a computer that has got two video RAM or two video cards. Each of the video card is 512 MB, so in total my computer is equipped with 1GB video RAM and some amount of cache memory on the hard drive. My system is having 4 GB RAM but Windows 7 is detecting only 3.25 GB. Why is it showing less though I have 4GB of RAM memory. Is it true that the windows main memory shrinks when the video RAM capacity is increased.

Re: Does Windows 7 system memory shrinks as Video card memory gain?

Your system is having 4GB RAM memory but only 3.25GB will be usable, this is because you are running windows 7, 32 bit operating system. I think that if you use 1 GB video RAM , then your system RAM will be shown 3 GB or less, in the 32 bit operating system. GPU memory is not mapped directly to an address. Kernal layer also cant access it. the memory information that is shown is not the GPU memory address. So I hope you understand, what I am trying to say.

The windows 7 detects the shows us the GPU’s PCIe address. Or else the 512MB on each GPU will make the whole setup less than 3 GB. RAM memory is nonstackaable. This Ram cannot be used by the windows it is only for the card to use. The usable memory is the memory of CPU and the rest memory is used by the system and not by the video card.

The amount of usable memory depends upon how much address space is allocated by the gfx card. The same amount of memory is allocated in the 64 bit windows operating system, but here the space more than 4GB is allowed to be used. Windows tells us how much memory has been installed in it. i hope now you understand why wndows always shows less RAM than actually installed.

Thank you guys for your kind replies and suggestion. i was very much worried and thought that my the RAM might have damaged due to which windows always shows less than the actual capacity. I was unknown of the fact that the amount of usable memory depends upon how much address space allocated by the gfx card, same memory is also allocated by the window 7, 64 bit operating system. Windows does not use the memory of the RAM memory and it’s the video card that uses it. Guys, thank you for sparing your valuable time.