Thread: installed the processor in wrong way

installed the processor in wrong way

Hello friends, I am having a computer, to which I installed Intel core i5 2500k. When I turned on the power, there was a spark inside the CPU and got some burnt smell. I was sure that some thing shorted inside the CPU. After this incident, computer did not work. When I opened the cabinet of CPU, I realized that I had installed the processor in the wrong position. I am aware that the board is dead but I am not sure about the processor. Is the processor still alive. Can you please tell me where the spark likely to occur. What should I do now. Please help.

Re: installed the processor in wrong way

Hey , sorry to hear that, but how did you manage to install the processor in the wrong position. It is possible that your processor might have burnt. As you had not installed the processor correctly, it is likely to have shorted due to short circuit. Check if the pins on the board are bent or not. It is also possible that the motherboard is also damaged and dead. You have to get a new processor as well as new motherboard. For this definitely you have to spend cash from your pocket in order to make your computer alive again.

Do you have an old processor that you were using, before installing the new one. If yes then don’t install it on the dead motherboard. Get the new motherboard and then install on it and before switching on, make sure that it is correctly positioned on the slot. If you don’t know how to install the processor, then don’t try it by yourself. Take it to computer repair shop and they will install it correctly.

While installing the processor on the motherboard always see at the corners. First of all you check the CPU and confirm whether it is still alive or not. the spark might be due to the some loose contacts. If you cannot confirm it, then take the CPU to the repair shop. The technician may test and confirm it to you. When you were installing the processor in the wrong position then dint you realized, why you have to put so much force on it. if the motherboard is not dead then you will only have to spend for the new processor.

CPU does not need any extra force to slide into the slot. While you were sliding the processor into the slot in a wrong manner, it is possible that you might have bent or broken its pin. The pin of the processor and the processor itself is a very fragile component. There are notch on the two sides of the processor that fits into the socket. One question is arising in my mind again and again, that how did you clamped the processor, when it was not correctly positioned.

Hey guys I really felt bad when I came to know that my stupidity has destroyed both motherboard and processor. It was the most expensive processor that I ever bought it . It was not the first time I was building the motherboard and assembling the processor. Earlier I had done it ten to fifteen times and never did this mistake. Though I dint even felt that the processor has being wrongly installed. I have the old processor but I am not going to use it with the new motherboard. Thank you guys for your support.