Thread: Will i have difficulty in swapping mobo's?

Will i have difficulty in swapping mobo's?

Hello friends, I am having two computers, I will call one as primary and the other, secondary. I usually use to work on primary PC and rarely use the secondary one. My primary PC is a HAF 932 with Gigabyte mobo and my secondary PC is a HAF-922 with the ASUS mobo. I have decided that I would sell the hardware components of the secondary PC except motherboard. As the motherboard of my secondary PC is better, I want to use it in my primary PC, that I use frequently. In simple words I just want to swap the motherboard. I want to know how it can be done. Please help me.

Re: Will i have difficulty in swapping mobo's?

You are about to change the motherboard of your primary PC that is HAF-932 ,Gigabyte mobo with the ASUS mobo. Make sure that when you change the motherboard, you may need to reinstall the operating system. You will also require installing the mobo/chipset drivers. If you are using windows 7 then it will automatically deal with the major hardware change and you will only have to install the chipset drivers. One of my friend did the same with his PC, and it is running fine

First of all take out all the hardware components from the your primary PC HAF-932 and then install one by one into the ASUS motherboard. After you have done with installation of the hardware, you need to boot the system. If you have windows 7 on the hard disk then you don’t need to reinstall the operating system or format the system. If you desire of reinstalling windows 7, then you can go forward. Few days ago I switched from Asrock P55 to ASUS M III, I was not required to reinstall windows 7 again. Till now it has not encountered any problem.

In my case, when I swapped the motherboard and rebooted the system without reinstalling windows 7, after few minutes a tragic failure occurred resulting in total loss of data. I had to again reinstall everything from the beginning. So as per my opinion, make a disc image before you swap the motherboard. In case, by chance if you lose data then you can retrieve all the data back. You can do it with the help of disc imager that comes with windows 7.

You can image disc with the help of disc imager which is the built in application in windows 7. You can make the image and after that save it to the hard drive. From the utility, you can create a rescue CD, from which you can boot if want to perform recovery, repair and reimage functions. The image that you create is the exact copy of contents that is present in the entire partition. You can go to the windows 7 image utility by clicking on Start, and then selecting control panel. From control panel go to back up and restore, where you will find the image utility.

Hey guys, I was successful in installing all the hardware components of my primary computer to the ASUS motherboard of secondary computer. I had to install mobo/chipset driver for the ASUS motherboard. I rebooted system without performing clean install and the system booted wi8thot any issue. But then I thought it would be better to clean install, so again reinstalled windows 7 operating system as well as the drivers. Before swapping the motherboard, i created the image disc with the help of disc imager which is the inbuilt application in windows 7. Creating image disc is a great idea, in order to secure all the Data’s.