Thread: Does Clean install needed after swapping motherboard?

Does Clean install needed after swapping motherboard?

Hello guys, I am thinking of changing the motherboard of my CPU.At present I am having computer with H55 motherboard, Intel core i5 and I want to replace it with H67 motherboard, Intel core i7. But I have one question regarding it. After replacing the motherboard with the new one do I need to perform clean install of Operating system. I am using Windows 7 64 bit operating system. I am aware of, that I have to install new software and drivers related to the motherboard. Will my computer be stable after such a Hardware change

Re: Does Clean install needed after swapping motherboard?

You are willing to change the entire motherboard to upgrade your computer to Intel cote i7. It’s a good idea, but make sure that you install all the software’s and drivers that are required by the motherboard. It is true that after the system undergoes such a major hardware change, It needs to be formatted completely and the Windows 7 operating system needs to be reinstalled. I always use to format my system once in every four months without any reason. So in order to run the computer without any issue you need to format it or perform clean install.

After the system has such a major and fundamental hardware change, Windows 7 operating system will handle it fine. If you had made changes in the hardware within the period of two months, then only windows 7 may ask you to reactivate it. Reformatting and installation of new drivers are necessary so that the hardware is well compatible with the motherboard and the system. When I did swapping of new components in the system I had to install the new mobo/chipset drivers after reboot. So make sure that you run the chipset driver after you swapped the motherboard.

I recently replaced Q9550/SP35P2 Pro with 2500K/P8P67-N Pro. I had to just get the components swapped and then run the new mobo/chipset driver and it got activated online automatically. It is not necessary that after replacing the motherboard you have to perform clean install. It is optional, if you like then you can do clean install or else you need to just reboot the system and install the new mobo/chipset drivers. Windows 7 operating system is so designed that it can easily deal with the hardware changes, so clean install is not required.

It is true that windows 7 operating system is so optimized to handle hardware changes, but depends on which type of hardware changes were made. i just changed the mainboard of my system and did not format it. Just when the system was rebooting, it encountered Blue screen of Death. Then I had to completely format and reinstall windows 7 operating system. I am not sure that BSOD occurred because I did not perform clean install or there are other reasons.

I wanted to change the motherboard of my PC from H55 to H 67. But i had a question in my mind regarding what to do after installing the new motherboard. I wanted to know whether clean install was required or not after installing the new motherboard. After reading the posts, I came to know that it was not necessary while running on windows 7 operating system. I dint perform clean install after getting a new motherboard, and the computer is just running fine. Windows 7 is optimized to handle any major hardware change. Thank you all for your kind replies and suggestion.