Thread: No sound under heavy network load (4GB+ Ram situation)

No sound under heavy network load (4GB+ Ram situation)

I have very bad experience with running Windows 7 x64 with the beta drivers. Until a few weeks ago I had the following platform:
    • AMD AM2 x2 CPU Black
    • 8GB+ RAM DDR2 1066 (running at 800)
    • Gigabyte w/ AMD SB700 Chipset
    • XFi-Platinum

There was no issue experienced with sound and drivers. I recently upgraded new CPU, ram, motherboard as:
    • AMD Phenom II triple core
    • 8GB+ RAM DDR3 1333
    • Gigabyte mobo w/ AMD SB750 Chipset
    • XFi-Platinum

The issue I am experiencing is that under heavy network load it causes the sound to just die. I will admit I haven't done anything to try to alleviate the problem. But I sure know it exists. I will try a few configuration changes and will report back to see if I can fix it. I am giving everyone a heads up if you fall in the same category as me. I hope that creative will get us some new beta drivers.

Re: No sound under heavy network load (4GB+ Ram situation)

I have not found a fix, nor have RMA the card; switching PCI slots, otherwise taking out ram solved the issue for me. Try changing the bit rate in windows. This made this issue occur much less than normal, but it still happens on occasion. If you wish to do this then you will have to right click the speaker icon down by the clock and go to Playback Devices. After that left click on the speakers and select properties. Choose the advanced tab and change the rate to 16 bit 48000 hz DVD quality and apply. Hopefully that will lessen the issue for you. You are not alone. I can tell you that much. My friend also experiences the same difficulty.

I think I know the reason for this issue. This is because many of the devices are sharing single IRQ. What you can try is to move the PCI XFi toward the additional PCI slot and see if that can solve the problem for you. I have seen some of the cases like this where changing the PCI slot resolves the issue and I hope that it will do the same for you. Please reply with your experience about this.

It has nothing to do with the IRQ but rather a design flaw in all the cards. It’s been there since the xp days but only started showing its head big time due to increased memory demands. Unlike what creative would like you to think it’s been showing its ugly head on all chipsets not just the force ones. But as creative always done it takes no reasonably and points fingers at everyone else. They have lied and messed with drivers. Most of the times you can avoid problems even with four gigs if you only have one PCI card installed.

I have an problem with these drivers under my configuration too. Different issue, my card just squeals like a stuck pig. No sounds just a loud squeal. Mind you the driver says it is loaded and working fine. Windows 7 THINKS it has a working soundcard.
    • Intel C2D 3.0 Ghz
    • 8 GB DDR2 1066
    • Intel 975 motherboard
    • XiFi Fatality
    • Nvidia 9800 GTX

It’s quite clear that Creative doesn't give two hoots about its customers. They are treating Windows 7 just like Windows Vista, late releases of non-working drivers. These are issues I don't have with my Realtek HD-audio controller.

I certainly consider it has something to do with the PCI registers. For us old enough to remember the same situation happened with the Vortex 8830 and the VIA KX133 chipset where it would just completely hang. Same issue here. Creative has had years to fix this problem. They never anticipated microsoft would go to OPEN AL and change the sound architecture completely. That's no excuse. Hire some real developers.

It matter that what chipset you are having since right now at this very moment I have a Gigabyte board with an AMD GX chipset, two Radeons and one X-FI and no crackling.* Vista 64 and 8 gigs of memory.* So why don’t I have the crackles and pops?* It does not "show up" on all of them.* It did not show up on my Asrock motherboard with SIS chipset.* It is usually, or let me say, most of the time, NFORCE/NVIDIA conflict and their lack of raid/sata/ide drivers on the PCI bus.* Anyone here not agree?* I have no cats in a blender.