Thread: MSI DKA790GX Platinum and AM3 CPU - BIOS Update

MSI DKA790GX Platinum and AM3 CPU - BIOS Update

I will update my current increased AMD 939 socket configuration for a system based on AMD Phenom II. I mean the MSI DKA790GX Platinum II and AMD Phenom X3 720 (Black Edition) CPU (AM2 + and AM3 motherboard), but I have to clarify the updated BIOS for broadcast AM3 before buying the components. The announcement states that the motherboard BIOS must be updated to support AM3 CPU. My problem is: I have no AM2/AM2 + CPU, and I'm looking to jump right into the purchase of AM3 - power-up/POST so wills the unit with the combination of CPU and more AM3 latest BIOS to allow me to update older BIOS startup using FDD or USB Pen in a DOS environment?

Re: MSI DKA790GX Platinum and AM3 CPU - BIOS Update

I agree. I bet you will start with only one memory DIMM installed. CPU is not recognized correctly. Now, try starting with a DIMM. Before that, make sure you have the tool ready to flash usb 1.6 in bios that the newest of this forum. When starting, go into the bios and set all memory timings to auto or select failsafe settings. Restart and boot from USB-stick. Run memtest for a few hours to test the stability of the system. If no errors, the BIOS flash.

My Platinum DKA790GX came with bios 1.2. It worked fine with my 140w 9950. I have spoken with MSI motherboard section and Live Update to see if I have to update the bios for my motherboard with an AM3 CPU. MSI motherboard ready bios section 1.6, while the Live Update bios list 1.5 as the latest. I remembered the bios 1.5, presumptuous that there must be a cause why bios 1.6 were left out of Live Update. Do you actually need bios DKA790GX 1.6 to recognize a CPU AMD3?

Negative start an old BIOS and the CPU 720. I just created myself the hard way my board shipped with a 1.2 bios and I get nothing when turning. I figured it would need an upgrade, but even later. Now I'm stuck with no choice then lead to see if you can drop a CPU to be released in order to update it. I will let you know tomorrow if it was in fact the BIOS or something else that prevents booting.

With respect to "personal preference" I do not know exactly, but I've seen nVidia chipsets more than any other competitor, or anyone SYS VIA, etc. Most of my later model motherboards that use (all of MSI and all with nVidia chip sets ever) I was disappointed about the wealth of features, and stability in the operation. nVidia chipsets however, may not be able to struggle with Intel chipsets, nVidia, but is extremely competitive. This also applies to the implementation of the RAM speed. Apparently nVidia chipsets and provide a profile of the EPP, which means that the integrated system chip sets accepts and correctly detect EPP DDR2 1066 RAM chips enabled by default in the BIOS. AMD 790GX chipset is not yet compatible with that capability. Users have to manually go into the BIOS and set it as specified by the manufacturer of RAM, in order to achieve highest performance available (but not by default, "auto")

Platinum DKA790 GX is an improvement over the DKA790GX. You can have features that the basic model (DKA790GX) does not have. PPE can be activated in my BIOS, so, however, has not read speed 1066 MHz by default (on auto). I have to manually configure the speed ratio of 1:2.66 and schedules and stress - International 1066 (2.1 2.2 V). Does your motherboard in the automatic detection of 1066 and set the tension right time automatically? If so, mine is not. Socket AM3 Phenom might do, but mine, which is socket AM2 + (Phenom II 940) does not. I think this may be even depending on the CPU (AMD 64 CPU's memory controller is built in). I do not see the ability G. sticks that are different to say OCZ, Kingston, Corsair or similar clubs. Pls. correct me if I'm wrong.

I just tried to set my memory multiplier for 1066 (1:2.66) and let it do the rest of the PPE. Bingo! PPE set times for me exactly what Mushkin announced. I realize I'm using 8000 ram, but perhaps a little lower spec'd it really be done? (Maybe a lot?) But, right, it does not really answer the question, as is 8000 ram. PPE not automatically if set up to run 1066, but then most if not all "1066" ram out there is really top OC'd from 800 to 1066 anyway so what's the difference?