Thread: RAM upgrade for Dell dimension 3000

RAM upgrade for Dell dimension 3000

I have a desktop system at my home which is a Dell Dimension 3000. I had installed Microsoft Windows XP SP 2 on it which was running fine before. I had upgraded my RAM to 1GB to get best performance from my system. After attaching the RAM I switch on my system to which my RAM was detected on boot. After I got Windows screen I taught of having a look in the task manager for my system performance. After say one or two seconds my CPU usage shot up to 100%. As I had bought the RAM for increasing my system performance it had mostly decreased it. Do not know why? Can anyone help me out to resolve this issue?

Re: RAM upgrade for Dell dimension 3000

Keep RAM to the minimum number of slot say one RAM per system and connect it to your motherboard perfectly. Check out if your RAM is perfectly fitted on the board. Also, running two RAM on the same motherboard or the system may try to conflict with each other which increases your processor usage. First try the new one if you experience better performance with it then remove the other one. Keep on using it and keep the other one as a spare if any need arises. It can be because as both of them may conflict between each other to acquire process.

Try opening of task manager as to which process are trying to access more amount of your CPU usage. For this follow the instruction given below:

1. Press Alt+Ctrl+Del
    2. You will now directed to Task Manager
    3. Click on processes tab
    4. Look out for process used by all the user
    5. Now check which process is using more amount of your CPU
    6. Try closing it and check again your process in task manager
    7. If the process is associated with the RAM try using only one slot and one RAM to the minimum

If your CPU usage is more than expected try closing your program which is running some process on it.

There might be the case your RAM is not compatible with the Dell Dimension 3000 system of yours. For your system, I guess you will need PC2700 or a PC3200 RAM which support your system. Or else you can go to the crucial web site and check for the related RAM available for your system. Where they will list out other hardware RAM available and if your RAM is fine then try running your RAM which is having minimum number of sticks. This will enhance your system performance and you will be able to run your system at ease and in speed.