Thread: Q9550 temperature issue? Suggest if the temperature of my rig fine or not?

question Q9550 temperature issue? Suggest if the temperature of my rig fine or not?

Hi again to all gamers....

My gaming rig has been a rock steady machine and takes everything so easily since I upgraded (Nov 2010) using advices in this forum.
    Specifications:

Asus P5Q-VM Motherboard (G45 Chipset)
    Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9550 (12M Cache, 2.83 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB) CPU
    Intel stock Heat Sink and CPU fan
    EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1024MB GPU
    Corsair TX 750W PSU
    6 GB Kingston 800MHz DDR2 RAM (2*2GB, 2*1GB)
    500 GB + 250 GB 7200 RPM Western Digital SATA HDD
    Samsung DVD R/W
    Cooler Master Blade Master 80mm Case fan
    iBall Grabit Cabinet
    Dell E228WFP 22" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor
    Razer BlackWidow Keyboard
    Razer DeathAdder Mouse
    Razer Goliathus Mouse Pad
    Microsoft XBOX controller for Windows
    Creative 2.1 Speakers
    Belkin WiFi Router
    Microtek UPS

Please note that I currently don't overclock CPU/GPU and run them at stock speeds.

I recently completed Dead Space 2, Assassin's creed 2 and BulletStorm. I played these games and almost all other with the settings as High for all options, 1680 * 1050 Resolution and 2X antialiasing. These settings keep the game running at >50 fps which is my preferred fps.

now, time for queries.
    I recently installed a software CPU-Z to track my CPU temperature. I am at Delhi, India, the current outside temperature is 30 C and I don't have an air conditioner at my room as of now . According to CPU-Z,my system starts at 40 C temperature. On normal usage except gaming, it tops up to 48 C. However, while playing the above games on those settings, the temperature tops upto 77 C . As per the intel website Tcase temperature for Q9550 should be 71.4 C atleast on stock speeds I believe.

Is the temperature for my Q9550 77 C ok or a reason to worry?
    My GPU GTX 460 also tops to 70 C, is that fine?
    If the CPU temp as 77 C, please suggest a good air cooling solution. Should I change the stock intel fan/heat sink which came with the CPU. If so, which are the good ones? Also, currently, the GPU, PSU fan, extra case fan, all throw air out of my case. Should I install a fan on the side of my cabinet to suck air inside?

Re: Q9550 temperature issue? Suggest if the temperature of my rig fine or not?

I suppose, getting a cpu cooler fan would be a good option for you, because although the temperature at gaming seems to be quite fine but, later in future it will create problem, looking at the high temperature in your room or place. You could also try to freshen up the thermal paste on the cpu and lower down the temperature a bit, there are lots of measures for same, it just depends on you to take a step prior to getting all sort of troubles.

firstly, sorry for the mistake in my last post. the software I use to monitor my CPU temperature is Core Temp. just thought of mentioning this as it might be of some difference to you guys...

the Hyper 212 Plus looks really awesome. I want to install it on my CPU since i checked it out. However, was wondering if it is the best available air cooler in the market. Please suggest the best air coolers as I am not at all aware of these things. I would like to stick to air cooling as I have heard liquid cooling gets really complicated, and I am new to this stuff so... Also, please advice a couple of other options as well (budget is not a problem)

Please answer my other questions:
    My GPU GTX 460 also tops to 70 C, is that fine?
    Should I install a fan on the side of my cabinet to suck air inside?

Also, I have another query: I realized that I have upgraded and took care of almost every component in my rig except the UPS. I am still using the old MicroTek UPS which is no good. Infact, when ever a switch happens between main power and generator at my home, there is a gap of 10 sec, in which my system goes pooof if I am gaming. the UPS gives backup if I am watching a movie or at normal load, but it is not able to provide the wattage when gaming. Please suggest if any alteration is possible or any good new UPS which will suit my rig.

no one to reply???? I can use some advice guys....

First of, in delhi if you are getting a temp read of 70 degrees for your graphics card, then there are nothing to worry about. Secondly, getting the Hyper 212 Plus to cool down your rig a bit would be a great idea, and it wont cost you much as well. As far as I can see, the cabinet that you have (iBall Grabit Cabinet) would'nt be efficient for extra fan pacement or, if it does then its well and good. I have a NZXT Zero cabinet with 8 fans built-in the case and I hardly face any temp problems at all.

hey guys....
    thanx a ton for the valuable inputs. I have decided to buy a Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced Chasis with a Cooler Master N620 cpu air cooler. Also, I am getting the Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers along.....

Hope the new chasis will make my pc components feel good. The only confusion right now is 912 Advanced comes with a front red LED fan but the cooler N620 has blue LED fans. I am no sure if it will look good? only way to know will to buy and find out...

You could try getting the any other blue colored cpu air cooler as well, becauase then there wouldnt be a mismatch between the different lights which will be a pain in the eye. Installing the graphics card is limited to a 5850 or a GTX 480 if you leave the case for hard disks oriented, at 90 ° C, as it is original.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain